Website not accessible on LAN
Posted by: 50ndr33 (---.bb.online.no)
Date: October 21, 2012 03:34PM

I installed the latest version of WAMPServer today (wampserver2.2e-php5.4.3-httpd-2.4.2-mysql5.5.24-x64). Without doing ANY configurations, I started the server and opened localhost. It now shows the default index page.

I then entered my IPv4 address into another computer, and I got "Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server."
I also tried putting it Online. And because I can reach the server, I know that it isn't my firewall or anything else like that.

What is wrong? Do I have to configure WAMPServer to work on the LAN? (This worked automatically earlier...)

Thanks for your help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Website not accessible on LAN
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2012 03:40PM

oh its broken , in one of the downloads and will be fixed soon.

left click wamp> apache> httpd.conf

search for

require local

then remove the blank line between it and the previous line

# online offline tag do not remove....

so

from

require local

to

require local

then save and restart wamp, then toggle the online/offline button 3 times, to resync the code

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: October 21, 2012 08:27PM

Hi!
Thanks for your reply. How secure is this new system? Is it so that the website can ONLY be accessed from the local computer if the server isn't Online? Don't I need to specify Deny from all Allow from localhost anymore? It is crucial that no one can access it when I don't want it. Because my computer is on a public network every day, and no one should be able to access my website because of security issues...

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 09:36PM

Read the documentation.

[httpd.apache.org]

Require local

allows access only from the machine that the apache server is runing on.

Require, rather than allow/deny is a quick and each way of doing this and allowing both the IPV4 and IPV6 localhost address's i.e. 127.0.0.1 and ::1 in one instruction.

Date: October 21, 2012 09:37PM

So the way WAMP is set up by default, setting the server to Offline is safe?

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2012 09:42PM

yes provided that your network its self is safe. people wont get the files in the www folder from using a broswer. but maybe they can access your wifi, connect to networked machines, and get the files that way.

so i cant tell you its totally secure, a machine connected to a network is always a risk, if you need something totally secure, take it off the network ,and remove the wireless card.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: October 21, 2012 09:44PM

Ok, if WampServer is safe, I'll go with that. If somebody finds a way to access my hard drive because the IT department hasn't done a good enough job, the person doing it are doing something criminal. Accessing my IPv4 address isn't. Thanks! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.