Fix Your LOCAL HOST Error ***RESOLVED****
Posted by: ElliottHindman (---.dynamic.ppp.asahi-net.or.jp)
Date: August 29, 2011 11:15AM

Product: WAMPServer 2.1

Icon Color: GREEN, server online

Problem: For some reason, I can't connect to localhost. When I try, I get the same 404 error

Solutions I've tried by checking through other posts:

-Changed the port in Apache http.config to 8080

-Unchecked the notorious skype port 80 box in advanced settings

-unistalled and re-installed wampserver and tried using XAMP

-Unchecked IIS 7 in windows options

I scoured the forums for an answer to this problem because I didn't want to repost on a solved issue, but I didn't find a solution after about 4 hours.

I do have a copy of mysql server 2008 running on my computer. That is the last thing I can think of that might be causing a problem. What do you think?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2011 06:22AM by ElliottHindman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Localhost NOT FOUND 404 Error
Date: August 29, 2011 11:32AM

p.s. I also removed ::1 local server from my systems32 etc file

Date: August 29, 2011 01:38PM

****RESOLVED**** If you are having a similar problem please read my advice.

I found out Port 80 was being used by Server: Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0? by clicking "Test port 80" under Apache/Service/test port 80 in the Wampserver icon. Follow this step to see if you are experiencing the same problem

Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0? is set by default to use port 80 without configuration, so if you have installed MYSQL Server 2008, even if you uninstall the program, SQL Service and Usage Reporting may still be using port 80 on your computer. So, you need to disable this program.

You can do so many ways. The easiest way that I found is to stop the service named “Web Deployment Agent Service" from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services. After stopping the service, right click on this item and select 'properties' to set it to manual start, so that you can turn it on at your convenience.

After this, go back to the wampserver icon. Go back into Apache's httpd.conf file and make sure the ports are set to the default of 80.

Restart all services and click on LOCALHOST in the Wampserver icon and you should be able to connect to your localhost.

It took about 5 hours to figure this all out. But I guess there's nothing better than doing it yourself.

Check this thread on wordpress.com: [griffith.wordpress.com] if you have more questions.

Cheers!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2011 01:44PM by ElliottHindman.

Posted by: VetsMedTrip (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 07:50PM

Thank you!!!! I found your post after 4 hours but needed another hour to digest. Excellent fix. I'm on Win7, 64bit.

Date: September 25, 2011 06:21AM

You're welcome! I'm glad this helped. I hope more people read this thread because a lot of the fixes that people have been posting aren't a good fix, and only solve part of the problem.

Re: Fix Your LOCAL HOST Error ***RESOLVED****
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 09:01AM

Thats not a solution for most people.
only about 4% of windows versions have IIS enabled.

the rest of the solutions you say only solve part of the problem , actually solve 96% of peoples issues.

and disabling IIS is iwritten in almost every thread.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: September 25, 2011 10:17AM

I see what you're saying. This problem may be rare. But if a person is experiencing the same problem I did then the other threads describe solutions that only fix part of the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2011 10:38AM by ElliottHindman.

Posted by: nrich (117.195.20.---)
Date: December 18, 2011 10:02AM

Hii,
I did few efforts and got this problem solved

if you are getting the message like you don't have permission to access it blah blah!

then go to your root folder mine is C:\wamp\bin\apache\Apache2.2.21\conf

and find for httpd.conf

open it in notepad

find the line where the word is Listen:80

and where you want to enter your machine_ip mine is 127.0.0.1

so I did - Listen 127.0.0.1:80

hurrey! my wamp is now running from my localhost too....

this is because your locahost address comes with port 80

and because of some technical reason the port 80 or local host becomes a default port
but where the IP i.e. 127.0.0.1 is assigned and assumed as your localhost then the server start running from this address like [127.0.0.1] where you want to run it from your default localhost
you have to make a "bridge" to get your localhost's permission in to your wamp server.

and the port 80 will work like a bridge

I get this trick from my own testing
I did a try to run my localhost:80 in browser and got same result [localhost]
I again did a try to run my 127.0.0.1:80 and also got a same result [127.0.0.1]

it meas the port 80 is the same for those two "things" but somewhere it gets conflict to recognize it so I start looking conf files and changed the above one logically and that worked for me!! winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.