Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
MySQL Password and MyPHPAdmin
Posted by: Effigy (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 09:10PM

Could someone from thsi project address what has been a stupid problem wtih the server for as long as I can remember, configureing the MySQL password BREAKS wamp, eveerytime, and confuses the crap out of new users. It can be a nightmare to fix if you dont know what happened or remember the password. This needs to be fixed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MySQL Password and MyPHPAdmin
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: March 07, 2011 09:45PM

there is no problem..

its people's understanding of the tools they are using that is the issue

MySQL is a database server.
PHPMyAdmin is GUI written in PHP that makes administering MySQL easier.

This is where the issue begins.. For phpmyadmin to work. it must be able to connect as a user to MySQL so that it can perform the tasks it does.

WampServer comes with no password set for MySQL.

People log into PHPMyAdmin and create a password for the user "root" (MySQL user)

Now PHPMyadmin tries to connect to MySQL and it cant connect because it doesnt know the password.
it tells you - "Could not connect to MYSQL using password:NO)

Most beginners think they are setting a password for phpmyadmin which is why they get confused.

to solve this you need to tell PHPMyAdmin the password

open c:\wamp\apps\phpmyadmin\config.inc.php

find and add your password to
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';

Save and try again , Now PHPMyAdmin can connect to MySQL again.

I totally agree, this can seem confusing for beginners, And it would be useful if a script was made , so that on install of Wamp, it asks you to set the password for MySQL , and it also configures PHPMyAdmin with it.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: March 07, 2011 10:13PM

I am well aware of everything you have said, and I have set up and hosted plenty of sites without using your tool. that being said, your tool has a fairly complete and user friendly installation. it IS a problem for NUMEROUS people across the web, (have you ever seen the number of times this question gets asked and answered by other development communities? Maybe if your forum bore the brunt of this you'd call it a problem...) and it is an even sadder problem as it could be so easily solved by a simple script to match the passwords from one user prompt.

Additonally, many times when this occurs the user cannot recall the password they set for the MySQL database precisely. For this reason I beleive in your instructions, faq, and responses (such as above, you should include directions for resetting the MySQL pword, if you re-read your above instructions you'll note that they are useless without knowing the MySQL password. This may seem like catering to the lowest common denominator, however, it happens and it happens often.

Users often assume that uninstalling WAMP and reinstalling would start them off where they started. Unfortunately, this is even MORE broken than the initial configuration and will leave registry values and database file behind, ensuring your next attempt will be unsuccesful. Surely, at the very least, you can admit that the HORRIBLE uninstall is a problem...

just the fact that you could copy and paste the (in many cases unhelpful) directions so quickly tells me it is a known PROBLEM...

Date: March 07, 2011 11:43PM

??? i wrote the directions above just now , they are not copied from another post..

iv wrote 5000 posts on this forum , i know its an issue. - im not disagreeing with you.

I just think a good guide attached to wamp could solve this issue , We cant change MYSQL to be unsecure- No one would want that.

I am considering building my own version of wamp , for a complete novice. i will obviosly take all of your points on board.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2011 03:02AM

On the other hand, I completely disagree sad smiley

First, to run a server, it requires a certain minimum knowledge; thus, don't sound like why people don't make a car very easy to handle so even a 9 or 10 years old kid could drive; we all know that to drive a car, a certain age has to be met

Second, MySQL and phpMyAdmin are 2 different group developers and phpMyAdmin is a GUI for MySQL and some people might use some other GUI such as MySQL Administrator, SQLyog, Navicat... instead. As a result, if you want to use phpMyAdmin to admin MySQL, you have to learn how to use it, and set password might be a first lesson winking smiley

Third, password should only set and known by you and you should not use one with the password already set or come with a script for it since you never know if somebody else would log into your MySQL server at any time sad smiley

Moreover, different people have different ways to handle thing, even a same thing; also might be affected by some other facts such as culture, location... thus we're here to provide you the basic but you are the one that set your own way. In fact, it's NOT a known issue, but the fact is people post to ask the same question, so why waste time to re-type the same answer over and over again... and yep, you're right that in many cases it's not really helpful and why not, we're normal human thus we can NOT read your mind or see what you have in your PC which would prevent wamp to run properly and thus we can ONLY guess, and we all know that guess can only right about 50% winking smiley As stated, different people have different ways to handle thing so it never and never anybody would come up with a real good guide for everybody; some people would think it's way too easy and should not included to increase the size of download while some other people might complain that why it's too difficult to follow... thus if you can not follow the guides provided here, you can always easily find the answer on some other forums or websites winking smiley

Download ResetMySQL here
[downloads.jlbn.net]

You should setup Backup right after setup Wamp successful, so you can go back if something wrong later
To setup Backup, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup Password, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: ThirdEye420 (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2011 04:03PM

For real, what an asshole. Sorry that just because of your limited understanding of MySQL and phpMyAdmin, he didn't create a Server that only fools know how to use... Like what yfastud said, maybe you should gain a little bit of knowledge of the subject before you jump into something and act like you can do it without any knowledge whatsoever on the subject. First you need to use that brain that is between your ears, on some books or websites. Not everyone is going to hold your hand through life, no matter how much you kick and scream.

Start studying here, since you probably need help looking information up too, because there is no script to help you... Ill give you a couple of resources.

[www.mysql.com]
[www.phpmyadmin.net]
[www.apache.org]
[www.sqlbuddy.com]

And for you to say that you have hosted numerous sites without his tools, you obviously never used MySQL, phpMyAdmin, before. So what did you use? some free webtemplate editor on a free website building site like freewebs? Haha. So you either lied about that, or you used something for kids that make blogs.

What makes this tool any different than installing a LAMP server? or BAMP? or any of the other variations? If you have used any of these tools before than you should know how to fix your problem, and how to use the tools given to you. (FOR FREE REMIND YOU!!! FREE, SO WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU BITCHING LIKE 9 YEAR OLD GIRL FOR?!)

Like Steven said,
"there is no problem..
its people's understanding of the tools they are using that is the issue "

Gain some knowlege of the subject then come back and whine. Dont whine because its an advance piece of software that is capable of almost anything, and 80 percent of servers use this exact set up (excluding windows), there is a reason why it is so widespread.

If its an issue with stuff still being left in the registry then get a damn third party uninstaller that also cleans the registry like "IO Bit Uninstaller", instead of crying to him about one issue you are having, then when he responds with a great solution, you change the issue and tell him his help is "worthless" basically...

This is no different than all the people that join Linux forums and ask why they don't have permission on a file, or how to become root. Then they complain because Linux is too hard for them, and say its linux's fault. Like your saying that its a problem with the WAMP software, sorry, but it isn't, its GREAT! your the problem!

On that note, thank you so much for gathering all this great GNU GPL applications and making it run FLAWLESS on windows!!! I love you guys for this I have great respect for the creators! I am more of a Linux guy myself, and only use Windows for my Adobe software, but this is great for testing my server instead of making everything in adobe then restarting and booting into Linux every time I want to test what I made. (GIMP just doesn't do it for me, I cant find an equivalent to "save as web ready" and get that crisp look like I do in photoshop.

I am a new user to Windows Server, but I (unlike the OP, who states he has experience...) actually have experience with MySQL and phpMyAdmin, and just because when you install MySQL it doesn't walk you through it like in the terminal in Linux, it doesn't change the fact that it has ALL the SAME configurable options. All it took was my eye balls to look. Simple as that OP. Use the Brain and the Eyes that were given to you.

I also dont know why the other two responders were so nice to you, your a dick sir, so chill out, relax, watch your attitude, and be grateful that you even got this software for free!

go back to freewebs and come back when your done studying the documentation from the links above.

Date: March 12, 2011 04:24PM

smiling smiley Well Said , that all i can say!

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: March 12, 2011 05:46PM

Thanks, steve. I just dont like to see people treat people like that when they kindly offer up a solution. There was no reason for that.

Off topic, but do you or anyone else know the hex code for the orange text highlight on this forum? Or do you mind if I search the CSS file myself with Firebug?

Also to the the Original Posters comment,
"Additonally, many times when this occurs the user cannot recall the password they set for the MySQL database precisely."

Sorry but that doesnt happen at all actually. Because the user of MySQL on Linux, BSD, Windows or any other host could just simply look in the "my.ini" file and see clear as day that your password is written right next to the word "Password". Again, that shows you don't have the experience you say you do. Which kind of baffles me, because why would you say that you do when, you don't even understand the basic uses of the software?

Can you please show an example of this happening... Ever? Since it "Happens and Happens often?

Date: March 12, 2011 06:28PM

they are #515151

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2011 06:29PM by stevenmartin99.

Date: March 12, 2011 06:34PM

Thanks a lot mate!

Date: March 13, 2011 12:44AM

Oh Steven, I just tried that hex and came to realize that #515151 is actually gray. So either you are not using firefox, or Safari, or you might have missed something in the hex code. No big deal, just thought I should let you know. I will just try to get close as I can. Thanks though mate.

Edit:: Didnt want to post again, but Thanks for finding that, I really appreciate your help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 10:13AM by ThirdEye420.

Date: March 13, 2011 08:34AM

im using IE but no i used colourpic to hover on it... I guess it didnt pick up the onmouseover!!!

its #FF3C00 in the css file

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 08:40AM by stevenmartin99.

Posted by: aramel (---.147.dsl.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: March 13, 2011 01:48PM

Hey Guys,

First post here, felt that I should chime in on this one...

Thanks Effigy - I too was very frustrated with this issue until I found this specific forum thread - I feel your pain! smiling smiley

Thanks SteveMartin99 for the simple explanation - problem sorted.

Yfastud - I disagree with your disagreement smiling smiley

"First, to run a server, it requires a certain minimum knowledge; " - yeah, that's very true, but there's bound to be a lot of people out there who simply need a local Web Server for designing and testing sites who have no desire to learn all the nuts and bolts, they just want it up and running so they can do their job.

After all, what's the point of creating a W/LAMP package?

I think it all boils down to a process issue.

I've used a few web servers before, just so I can test web sites I'm creating locally. Tonight I installed WAMP Server for the first time. I opened up MyPHPAdmin and in nice red text down the bottom it safe it is unsafe to use the root account without a password. I've seen it before and decided I'm going to make an effort and be more secure.

I figured out how to change the root password via MyPHPAdmin menu (or so I thought) and that's when hell broke loose.

So yeah, I'm not familiar with all the stuff going on under the hood and it defied logic... I'm told it's not secure to have no password so I create a password and it breaks.

Now I understand that there are actually two systems requiring this password and I've wasted over an hour trying to get past that (still not fixed :7 )

So, it would be good to have some sort of script or even just a notification for new users to be made aware of that on first use, maybe one day MyPHPAdmin can improve that RED warning of theirs so that people don't freak out and do something stupid...

My $0.02 worth... (seasonally adjusted)

Peace out!

~ Aramel Martin

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2011 10:43PM

Yfastud - I disagree with your disagreement
Millions people have millions different ideas and that's reason why always war in the world since each people always think that they're right no matter how wrong they are winking smiley

After all, what's the point of creating a W/LAMP package?
So people don't have to waste time to go through hassle to setup each separately and waste more time to set them up to work together BUT it does NOT mean that we have to install it for you or teach you how to use it; you MUST learn how to use it yourself winking smiley

I figured out how to change the root password via MyPHPAdmin menu (or so I thought) and that's when hell broke loose.
1 + 2 = 3
That's a very simple additional math but some people in this world do NOT know how to do that simple math because they never had a chance to go to school in order to learn that simple math; similarly, you have to find out and learn how to use phpMyAdmin if you want to use it instead just went ahead did something then turn around and claim on people why don't make it easy for you to use

So, it would be good to have some sort of script or even just a notification for new users to be made aware of that on first use, maybe one day MyPHPAdmin can improve that RED warning of theirs so that people don't freak out and do something stupid...
So you should post that recommendation on either MySQL website or phpMyAdmin website instead here since Wampserver's developers just simply put Apache, MySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin... together so Wampserver's users don't have to waste time to go through hassle to setup each separately and waste more time to set them up to work together but Wampserver's developers don't create those apps winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 14, 2011 04:39AM

Exactly. The aim of this project does not seem like it is MADE for beginners. It is just a gathered set of applications that are the most common and open source way to make a server. The whole point is to provide a stable working apache, PHP, SQL server environment on the windows platform.

Why make this package a server that is simple for the most earliest of beginners? If you do that, none of the people that actually know how to use it are going to use it because it would configure it in a way that most people who are looking for a server they have experience with, want the basic package to fine tune themselves. I wouldn't want to download a version of apache that is configured for game servers, if I am not interested in running a game server. I wouldn't want a version of Apache that has a GUI with only forms to enter information in the configuration, because that would take away the ability to fine tune it. Making it basic would ruin it for the people who are looking for something advance. If I wanted a learning tool I would find something else.

Also like Yfastud said, its takes some understanding of math to solve 1+2=3. So why reinvent the wheel so to speak. If millions upon millions of people worldwide can learn and understand and do learn and understand, PHP, SQL, and Apache, then why create something different that only a few would use, when the target is the millions upon millions willing to learn the working solution?

Again, they don't make any of this stuff, they put it in a great little package for simple installation on windows. And Ill tell you what it would take a good amount of time to gather that all from source to make an all in one windows installer, with an awesome all in one notification icon, and a bunch of extra modules with an easy check to use interface. So its already a lot more basic than you all think. Try it all on the Linux terminal and say this isn't the simplest way to get a server up and running instantly.

If your a beginner you have to either take the time to learn the methods used by millions or find something simpler like those free website making sites. That's your only two methods. If you want a script to make it so you can set password for MySQL and integrates into phpMyAdmin automatically, then pay someone to do it.

Posted by: simpson (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 14, 2011 08:38PM

I came across this same problem in a different manner. I was trying to insert querys into my database and kept getting "Error querying database" I figured it had to be a password issue since I was using sample code and knew that there was nothing overlooked in the syntax. Now I had already gone through the process of installing everything individually(with no luck and a huge headache) thats how I found out about Wamp. Thank you Wamp you made it easy and finally everything worked together!!!

Now I know all about the config.ini.php file. I spent hours there when I was trying install the programs individually. IMO this is a phpmyadmin problem which creates problems for webdesigners like Effigy . If the phpmyadmin chronies want more people to use their software and I think they do I suggest that there warning in the red text be a little more descriptive. They should make phpmyadmin dummy proof so that as a tool it will help a dummy become smart in php programming.

That said I need help with my problem. I want to fix the config.inc.php file and I know how to but I cant find it. I have no phpmyadmin folder under my Wamp directory and the only config.inc.php file I can find in the Wamp directory is in the scripts folder. That file dosent resemble any config.inc.php file I've ever seen before. I cant find anything addressing the password in that file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 08:39PM by simpson.

Date: March 14, 2011 08:49PM

i gave directions above..
maybe you have things a lil messed up?

ill take a look with TeamViewer if you need it

thanks Steven

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: simpson (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 14, 2011 09:31PM

I am my own worst enemy. I wasnt looking in my app folder. Thanks though.

Date: March 15, 2011 03:58PM

If you are using WAMPserver you are, catgorically, a beginner, nuff said. I have made plenty of apache server installers, from source, made for various custom uses. WAMP IS the easy solution, so I dont really see where the responses regarding keeping it barebones come from...

Barebones is downloading and building apache yourself... easy, beginner, lets install a server with everything I need to play around, is WAMP

Date: March 15, 2011 04:02PM

and as a conclusion to my contribution to this pig headed crowd, to quote from the original response:

"there is no problem..
its people's understanding of the tools they are using that is the issue "

I would say, there is no tool if it has no use. If the point of WAMP is not to allow one stop installation of a windows apache mysql php server, than it is not a tool as it has no use.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.