Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ftp help with Joomla/Wamp
Posted by: Lakeside (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: January 13, 2008 02:17AM

Just another lost newbit here, and I'd really appreciate some help. I'm learning Joomla 1.5 (CMS) so to that end I have WampServer2 to host the Joomla site (works great) but am running into probs while trying to set up the ftp for it. Joomla has an instalation parameter where you set the password/username for ftp...The problem is I don't really understand ftp, like how/where I install in in my computer so that I don't keep getting "could not connect to server" etc. Then afterwards. In Joomla's backend (;JoomlaXplorer extension) you connect to ftp with that password and can change file permissions etc.. I'm just making a mess of it, not sure what to do. sad smiley I would appreciate any help thanks..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2008 07:06AM by Lakeside.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ftp help with Joomla/Wamp
Posted by: TwistedChaos (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2008 05:30AM

hey i would love to hellp... give me a holler and we'll talk via IM's

Date: January 13, 2008 07:00AM

Hey that would be great! Don't think I'd hold you up too much, I've been reading up all day, and even tried a few things. (maybe getting closer?) changes: scrapped the filezilla, installed SmartFTP into C:\WAMP\www (where my Joomla folder is, and more likely is the server's root) I also tried typing my router's address (192.168.1.1) into the address instead of localhost or my own ip, and it actually connected for one second....but the an error
telling me a 'software application in my server has killed the connection' or something to that effect. I was soooo mad lol. Anyway, how do I 'holler'? smiling smiley thanks Twisted

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2008 03:49PM

No matter which ftp server you install, you have to enable port 21 in all routers for it to work. You might want to take a look of screenshots in Setup LAN and Worldwide Access on my websites

I also tried typing my router's address (192.168.1.1) into the address
You have to use your web ip which you can check by whereismyip.com or any other similar websites

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2008 07:13PM by yfastud.

Date: January 13, 2008 06:22PM

Thanks yfastud. I had entered my ip too at one point, buy maybe, as I hadn't enabled port 81, it didn't work. I will try your suggestion (are we having fun yet? no lol)

Date: January 13, 2008 07:14PM

Date: January 14, 2008 05:53AM

"'I'm sorry, it should be port 21" Ha ha, I'm glad you let me know that, I was beginning to think I knew even less than I did! smiling smiley

Date: January 14, 2008 03:12PM

If you didn't notice, here are some common ports:

Web server:
HTTP: 80, 81, and 8080

DB server:
MySQL: 3306

FTP server:
FTP: 21

Mail server:
SMTP: 25
IMAP4:143
POP3: 110

For db server, only open that port if you really want to remote manage your db; for my own security, I've never opened that port since there are too many alternate ways to remote control db w/o opening that port

For mail server, think twice before install and setup it because if you don't have a very good security method, a second, not even a minute, your mail server is up and running, spammers would detect and use it for their purposes and you, yes YOU, are the one who would go into jail for their actions. Just a friendly reminder

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: January 15, 2008 06:27AM

Wheee so much fun! ...sorry, just lost my head...oh, yeah, 'whatismyip' is pretty helpful for that, and it showed me that my port 21 was blocked for some reason ((I guess it should say 'open'? ) In fact, so is 3306(mySql) and 80- the wamp server in this case. Guess I gotta go find out why now. more fun smiling smiley
By the way, thanks for the tips yfastud . I believe that happened with another computer I had (spammers using it due to an open port ) and it eventually crashed! so yes, one does need to be vigilant. In the case of database, I need to have it to run Joomla, but if there is a more secure way, I would love to know. I have only ever seen it suggested to actually use the 3306.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2008 06:32AM by Lakeside.

Date: January 15, 2008 03:16PM

As long as both webpages and db save in same computer, yu will have no problem to use db; open port only for remote manage db and have nothing to do w/ access db from webpages

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: January 15, 2008 04:38PM

Thanks for the database tip. As for the ports, I am stumped. I went into my windows firewall, and made sure that http (port 80, wamp server) and ftp (21) were added as excepted programs (not blocked), so I don't know why 'What's MyIp says they're still blocked...Maybe I don't have them set up properly in my router. I could show a screenshot if anyone is interested.

Date: January 15, 2008 06:21PM

ftp only works when you've already had ftp server installed

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: January 15, 2008 06:51PM

???? Please forgive my confusion (I must be seemingly dim by now smiling smiley ) but I am going in circles. I thought wamp CAME with an ftp.. I notice the 'ftp' as one of the loaded extensions on the localhost mainpage. I have been trying to find on there, where you would set the username/password for the ftp, that I am always prompted to enter in Joomla (both in installation, and in tryng to chmod file permissions). If wamp doesn't actually have an ftp, what would be a good one, and how would I go about adding it to wamp? I would really like to know, and thanks for all the help so far yfastud.
After reading some more, maybe I am getting the 'ftp server' confused with an 'ftp client', the first one is said to be on the server already, and the client, such as Mozilla, I would have to install in order to use the ftp server, but not sure how or where.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2008 08:03PM by Lakeside.

Date: January 15, 2008 08:05PM

there are a lot of modules are enable by default so you can use it when you need, but it doesn't mean it includes it; similar, mail function is include but doesn't has mail server; to use ftp w/ that module, you might want to use php ftp server or standalone ftp server w/o that module enable, it's your choice

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: January 15, 2008 09:26PM

Thanks for clarifying that.. So, kind of like having a space 'roughed in' in a new house, for a dishwasher in the future, should you get one.....Guess I have to go get that dishwasher (filezilla?) now smiling smiley

Date: January 15, 2008 11:57PM

After reading some more, maybe I am getting the 'ftp server' confused with an 'ftp client', the first one is said to be on the server already, and the client, such as Mozilla, I would have to install in order to use the ftp server, but not sure how or where.
ftp server is where the data is saved while ftp client is for user to get access to the location that save data. In other words, if you like to share "something" that save on your computer, you have to install ftp server, and your friends must have ftp client in order to get access to your computer to get those "something"

If using Filezilla, make sure get ftp server not ftp client

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2008 11:58PM by yfastud.

Date: January 16, 2008 06:09AM

K, I'll try to be calm but...I'm kind of freaking out a little (just a little). I downloaded latest version of Fiezilla Server (not client smiling smiley ) and installed it into C:/wamp (my web server directory), and added what I figured was right (port 80, port 21, a username, localhost ip 127..something) and was happy because i finally read a message saying I am 'logged on' Yay. But then when I clicked 'localhost' on my wampserver tray icon, when I usually get the good ol wamp homepage, and then onto my 'project' (joomla website) at 'localhost/SassWebs but this time, I got an odd dialogue box, such as when you download something, and it asks to browse for the application you want to open it with? yikes, I never seen such a thing when trying to start up an application (such as wamp). This 'file' was called and 'octet-stream', and googling about it doesn't help me. I tried turning off the Filezilla server, and even going into my router and removing the ftp and server port forwarding (panicked a little, I don't know if something can get in and ....) Ahh, please don't laught at me lol. And just when I was getting my pan ready (panning for gold). geez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2008 07:39PM by Lakeside.

Date: January 16, 2008 06:27PM

ftp server use port 21, not 80; also, use your web ip, not lan ip (ie localhost); check your web ip w/ this website whereismyip.com or similar website

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: January 16, 2008 08:00PM

I'm pretty sure I entered 'port 21', at some point (ftp) but there was a place that asked for the 'server port' too- I assume the wamp server, so I entered the port 80...I think I will uninstall everything (yes everything) and record everything I do this time. Before I do though, just checking- if you don't mind that I have the order right so I don't screw this up: 1)I will install WAMP 2)I will install Filezilla server into the wamp directory (C:/wamp) and enter and make up a user/password for it.3) Install Joomla into wamp too, and use the user/password from the Filezilla server for the ftp settings. And also use my ip form 'whatismyip) whereverI canj. One note though: It seems at port forwarding in my router, when I am trying to set up the ftp and wamp(apache would be a better name I guess, since it is the actual server no?) it already has the router number typed in, and only has room for entering one more number (so I make it a '1' as in 192.168.1.1) and in another area, where it asks for an ip, there is only room for typing three numbers, so do I just type in, say '216, when the ip is something like 216.26.12.1 or whatever? Just some things that have me puzzled. (Oh my, I wouldn't blame anyone if they lost patience with me at this point!) If anyone wants a screenshot, I could supply one. thanks. Oh, also my ip never stays the same so do I need to go get a static ip from say, 'noip' in order to use it as my ip address? thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2008 08:34PM by Lakeside.

Date: January 16, 2008 11:57PM

A little lost here

2)I will install Filezilla server into the wamp directory (C:/wamp) and enter and make up a user/password for it.
I don't use Filezila, but suggest that you should install it in Program Files or wamp/apps

One note though: It seems at port forwarding in my router, when I am trying to set up the ftp and wamp(apache would be a better name I guess, since it is the actual server no?) it already has the router number typed in, and only has room for entering one more number (so I make it a '1' as in 192.168.1.1) and in another area, where it asks for an ip, there is only room for typing three numbers, so do I just type in, say '216, when the ip is something like 216.26.12.1 or whatever? Just some things that have me puzzled.
Tell me router's model, I might be able to help you out

also my ip never stays the same so do I need to go get a static ip from say, 'noip' in order to use it as my ip address?
Nope, it has some tricks to bypass it very easy or you can use some free soft to cover it

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.