Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: ftp help with Joomla/Wamp
Posted by: Lakeside (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: January 17, 2008 06:08AM

@ yfastud: "I don't use Filezila, but suggest that you should install it in Program Files or wamp/apps"..Will do:}
(Though I don't really care which server I use, what do you recommend?)

Router's model: BEFW11S4 V4

Too late, I just obtained a static ip from NoIp- was painless lol
Umm, what else.. Oh ya, even though I got rid of the port applications (ftp and http settings in my router's port triggering- deleting the app name and setting all back to 'zeros', a check at 'whatismyip' shows every port is blocked.. When I had the those ports filled in, they showed as blocked too, never as open. My ISP swears they are not blocking me tho...

*update: I just got this on my Filezilla server interface, when trying to change to the 'ftp' mode in Joomla backend. I had typed the same password in that I entered for Filezilla setup, and was the same password I entered in the 'ftp' box when setting up Joomla... Filezilla did not ask for a 'user name' on set up, so I entered the one I set up for Joomla. I set up port 81 on router for http, and port 21 for ftp, and entered that info. for the Filezilla server setup (Filezilla server connecting to WAMP at port 81 I guess) and even tho I have static ip, I used 'localhost' for the address. I'm a little confused about servers here, I assu;me that filezzilla was asking for the ftp client password (already set up in Joomla) but maybe meant the WAMP server admin password. If so, I don't have an admin password for wamp, but I do for the MySql db. Anyway here are the error lines in Filezilla I mentioned:
(000002) 1/17/2008 1:05:47 AM - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> Connected, sending welcome message...
(000002) 1/17/2008 1:05:47 AM - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> 220-FileZilla Server version 0.9.24 beta
(000002) 1/17/2008 1:05:47 AM - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> 220-written by Tim Kosse (Tim.Kosse@gmx.de)
(000002) 1/17/2008 1:05:47 AM - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> 220 Please visit [sourceforge.net]
(000002) 1/17/2008 1:05:47 AM - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> USER joomla
(000002) 1/17/2008 1:05:47 AM - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> 331 Password required for joomla
(000002) 1/17/2008 1:05:47 AM - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> PASS *******
(000002) 1/17/2008 1:05:47 AM - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> 530 Login or password incorrect!
(000002) 1/17/2008 1:05:47 AM - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> QUIT
(000002) 1/17/2008 1:05:47 AM - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> 221 Goodbye
(000002) 1/17/2008 1:05:47 AM - (not logged in) (127.0.0.1)> disconnected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2008 07:21AM by Lakeside.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2008 04:07AM

After setup ftp server, you have to login you ftp server as admin and setup ftp user(s) and passwords for user(s), and 1 of them should be the same that uses in Joomla

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: January 19, 2008 04:23PM

Thanks yfastud. After re-reading some stuff (and Joomla guide too) I sort of figured that out. It wasn't too obvious tho, how to do that on the last two servers (filezilla etc.) so I installed a server that came up when I gogled 'ftp servers for wamp'. This server even has a great guide to show how to do that (GuildFTP) so maybe I will get it now. I will set up the user/password, then use these settings when I get to step 5 of joomla install, and not the other way around.

Date: January 19, 2008 07:18PM

Date: January 19, 2008 08:09PM

Yes, that is what you meant, but sometimes it takes me a while.... good thing I am so stubborn smiling smiley

Date: January 19, 2008 08:52PM

He he... he he.... ;-)
Glad it works for you finally

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: January 20, 2008 06:55PM

Thanks for your patience smiling smiley Actually, I can finally 'log into ftp' in the Joomla backend (it finally likes my password, phew) but I get error messages when trying to chmod files but I think I know what I did wrong.
I am going to fix that soon (just a little 'fluish' right now). Part of my confusion was, other people giving advice I think were assuming that wamp already had a built in ftp server in it.

Date: January 20, 2008 07:25PM

You can't use chmod on windows so just ignore that part as long as in file/folder property, you don't select read only

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2008 07:25PM by yfastud.

Date: January 20, 2008 07:43PM

Hey, don't you ever take a holiday? lol So you mean, When I set up the ftp server (ftpFuild in this case)) I don't have 'read only' selected for my admin user privelege, or the folder/file itself in Joomla backend (through ftp) is set to more than read only? It's just hard to get my head around it, how the file can say '644' or what ever (not 777) and I can still do things to it, like download extensions etc. Ya, the Joomla forum and guide itself says that Windows users don't need to enable ftp, but I got so used to going into ftp mode, and easily changing file permissions, when I had paid hosting and ftp service was just a part of it (I was 'chmodding' left and right lol). Anyway, I had tried to install an extension- 'JoomlaPages' witout having ftp installed, or changing a certain file permission, and was just getting all kinds of errors, so I assumed it was because I needed to enable ftp. But maybe I was wrong, maybe the extension is just not right. Anyway, I willl have to have faith that I don't need to chmod anything....'twil be hard though smiling smiley

Date: January 20, 2008 08:17PM

I've been using ftp server for yrs and never worry about chmod, since you can set permission through ftp server

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: January 20, 2008 08:52PM

Ahhh....(starts to sink in...) Thanks
*update- Well, I don't want to jinx things but..I think I can say that everything is working properly. (Although, sometimes it gives me grief, like I have to try a few times, it will say the server isn't running on my server, or I get error messages trying the password, but I think it's because my computer needs 'clieaning' and is so slow). I can log into GuildFTP with joomla ftp client (accepts my password smiling smiley) and go to 'ftp mode' and see the same folders/files I see in 'file mode' in Joomla backend but... All the folders are set to 766 instead of 777, and of course it won't leet me chmod them to 766 using the set file permissions icon, and I can't ch;ange the filess but this is normal right? As has been said, in Windows ou don't have to change things, it is just enough to log onto the ftp. So I can do things that require writing to files, and loading extensions etc. even with the folders and files all reading something other than '777'? Something else I noticed- in 'file moed', the joomla folder (my web site/root I guesss) reads '777' but '766 ' in ftp. Why? ...But then you DID mention about the ftp server giving file permissions, and everything is checked off for the admin user there so should be good to go. Just checking, thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2008 06:39PM by Lakeside.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.