wamp: local host not working | no port conflict
Posted by: webby2 (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2013 04:55AM

Hello - I installed WAMP 2.4 (64 bit). It cannot find local host. The browser just shows the turning wheels spinning and spinning and it says "Waiting for localhost". I have seen the wheels spin for 20 minutes or more. I have:

* WAMP Server 2: WAMPServer 2.4 (64 bit): (Apache 2.4.4, PHP 5.4.12, Apache 5.6.12)

I have searched this forum and tried many possible suggestions. Here is info:

* WAMP Icon in task tray: I checked that it's green - says Server online.
* Port 80: I tested Port 80. There is no port conflict - it Says port 80 is used by Apache 2.4.4 (Win 64) & PHP 5.4.12
* Skype - I changed the ports in Skype so it does not try to use Port 80 and turned Skype off. I also run Lync (Office 365). I turned it off.
* Firewall - Windows Firewall: I allowed access to WAMPServer. Also have Avast Firewall - I turned Avast Firewall off and it made no difference - still could not find local host
* HOSTS file: I checked the hosts file and it looks clean. It has one entry (below the comments) that says "127.0.0.1 localhost".
* HTTP config file: I checked the HTTP config file in Apache and it says "Allow from 127.0.0.1, Allow from ::1, Allow from localhost".
* I have tried other things but it made no difference
* Occasionally it gets through to phpMyAdmin on the local host (takes a long time, and doesn't always connect (maybe 1 in 15 attempts)
* Rarely it gets through to the localhost home page (I have seen it a couple of times 1 in 30 attempts)

Yes, I have tried that many times to get this working... Can you help?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wamp: local host not working | no port conflict
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 10:43AM

If you use this address does it get to the wamp homepage?

http://127.0.0.1

Date: August 12, 2013 05:52PM

Hello RiggsFolly -

Thanks for suggesting that! Unfortunately when I open the Internet Explorer browser and enter that I get the same response as if I open the browser and enter local host.

It seems the only way I can now connect to local host/PHPMyAdmin is from the menu that shows when you click on the WAMP icon, then it opens the IE browser and I can get through ONCE.
- However, if I click "Put Offline" and "Stop all Services" and then start WAMP again by clicking"Start All Services" and "Put Online" it doesn't work. After an initial access/attempt/access the only thing I have found to work is a complete reboot of the computer. Am thinking that when I "Stop All Services" that somehow the program is still running in the background and that is why after one initial access/attempt it never works.

Other things I have tried:

* I turned off the Windows firewall - it did not seem to make a difference

* Maybe the program is still running in the background and that is why I have to reboot if it does not work the first time/want to get in a second time. When I log in as a user and click the "Start WAMP server" icon to start the program it asks for my admin password. However it only does this the first time when you launch the program. After that when you start and stop services it never asks for the admin password again (usually when you start a program again it would ask). When I login in as admin, I experience the same issues as when logged into the user account so that is not the issue.

* I changed Internet settings for Security for Intranet and unchecked the automatic detect (which I read may need to be done if the automatic detection was not working). That may have helped with the initial access. But it has not helped with the inability to access after a first attempt.

* I use Windows7 64 bit. However for browsing I use Internet Explorer 32 bit as that is better for Java updates etc. Do you think it would make a difference if I installed WAMP 32 bit?

At least I can get in now once after a fresh reboot. However I would like to get the access working more reliably before I install other things on WAMP.

Date: August 12, 2013 06:36PM

1. Forget about 'Put Online/Put Offline' its irrelivant unless you actually want to allow access from the whole internet.

What does your HOSTS file have in it?
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Date: August 12, 2013 07:39PM

Thanks for sharing that re the "Put Online/Put Offline".

In the hosts file (after the example comments with the #) it has one entry:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Date: August 13, 2013 12:04AM

Try adding another line to the HOSTS file

::1 localhost

This is the IPV6 equivalent of 127.0.0.1

Date: August 13, 2013 01:33AM

Hi RiggsFoley -

Thankyou for your suggestions! I tried that however unfortunately the same symptoms persist. This time I got through to the login page once (when I clicked on the WAMP icon) but could not do anything after that...Could not even get to phpMyAdmin when I click on it from the login page. It just opens a tab in the IE browser, spins and says "Waiting for local host. I also could not access the login or phpMyAdmin via the browser.

I did make sure that I was in administrator mode with authority to change the HOSTS file and checked that it had changed. (I changed the HOSTS file back after testing this).

Since you mentioned IPV6 I went to a site that ran an IPV6 test: [test-ipv6.com] It says I do not have an IPv6 address and that this is not uncommon. It says "Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6..."

Have switched to Uverse recently and have been noticing poor latency at peak time periods. However I have been having these issues with the WAMPServer at all times of day.

I have not tried changing the WAMPServer default browser to Chrome yet. Is there a way to do that without reinstalling? Or reinstalling WAMPServer 32 bit. Do you think either of those are worth a try?

This is a puzzler.

Best and thanks,

webby2

Date: August 13, 2013 01:38AM

Just run another browser ( Firefox or Chrome ) and use address 'http://localhost' see if that has an effect.

Date: August 13, 2013 07:07PM

Yes, that worked. It works in Chrome. I can get to login page and phpMyAdmin multiple times from the browser and can also get to phpMyAdmin from the login page.

However I can't get to Chrome from the menu in the WAMP icon because it is set up for IE as the default browser. Is there a way to change that setting without reinstalling?

If I want the option for it to also work with IE do you think I should install WAMPServer 32 bit since the IE browser is 32 bit? I have Internet Explorer 10. (My OS is Windows 7 64 bit - the default browser for this OS is IE 32 bit and that is what Java recommends you use).

I really appreciate the help in troubleshooting this! I was about to give up on WAMP out of frustration after trying so many things - ports, host file, HTTP config. etc.

Date: August 13, 2013 07:16PM

I just changed the overall default browser for my PC to Chrome and that seemed to override the initial settings when I installed WAMP. Now when I click the WAMP icon it uses Chrome as the browser and it works! Yeh!

Think I am going to use Chrome from now on as my main browser. The IE 10 browser does not seem to be working right. It just seems to be slow and buggy. I have the latest Java on it and no older Java files.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: August 14, 2013 12:22AM

Ok if that made the issue go away this may be the solution to IE10 issues.

Add these lines to the bottom of your httpd.conf file, just above this line

Include "d:/wamp/alias/*"

# Fix IE crashing Apache
AcceptFilter http none
AcceptFilter https none

Then see if IE10 works again.
It woudl be handy if you let me know if it does work as well.

Date: August 14, 2013 06:03PM

Yes, that makes a difference! It works in launching both from the WAMPServer icon and when entered in the browser. It works for reaching login page and phpMyAdmin. It works 9 times out of 10 now in IE10. (Still works all the time in Chrome.) The line in the httpd.conf file was "include c:/wamp/alias/*" rather than d drive.

(I also tried it before making the changes in the httpd file and the same symptoms were there when using IE10).

When I clicked on the browser settings to make it the default browser again so I could test it (before I changed the httpd file) I got a MS message asking to set the IE10 security/other settings to the recommended settings. I pressed yes, as I had never seen that message before and did not know if the message would reoccur or not.

I had noticed in the last few weeks that sometimes my IE browser was spinning and waiting when opening new browser windows to reach other websites at peak times (including very stable websites e.g., google, amazon etc.). Since I had just moved to Uverse I tested the internet connection (ping, traceroute) - saw that there was poor latency at these times. I did not check if Chrome worked better. Do you think this may be an IE10 browser issue?

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: August 14, 2013 06:22PM

Well I think they would describe it as a feature change. Still it works for all browsers now so thats good and I know that possible fix actually works. Thanks

Posted by: MrPjax (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: August 14, 2013 10:23PM

Did you go to Apache/Service and click Test Port 80 to see if there is another program listening?

Date: August 14, 2013 10:50PM

WAMP works in both browsers now which gives me more confidence to move forward with installing a website on it!

Yes, I tested Port 80. There is no port conflict - it Says port 80 is used by Apache 2.4.4 (Win 64) & PHP 5.4.12. That is why this was such a puzzle.

Thankyou for your help!smiling smiley I really appreciate it.

Posted by: phirow (---.barn.cable.virginm.net)
Date: November 03, 2013 12:55PM

Why does local host go to 404 when I try to view sample page with word press

Date: November 05, 2013 11:03AM

More details!!

Where is wamp installed?
What version and is it 32 or 64 bit of Wampserver?
What version of OS?
Where is wordpress installed?
Is this a wordpress install or copy from another site?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.