#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
Posted by: Brad (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: November 04, 2013 11:12PM

although WAMP seemed to be working fine my icon was orange and i wanted it to be green. i found that there was something listening on port 3306 so i changed the port to 3308 and it made my icon green. now when i try to access phpmyadmin or login to mysql console I get this password error. i didn't change any configuration password and i do remember my password. my config.inc looks like this.
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['verbose'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysqli';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'St04090059';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = true;
the message im sure everyone is familiar with is

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.
LOL i should have left it alone but i like the color green.
any sugestions

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: #1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
Date: November 04, 2013 11:22PM

i just found mysql server 5.1 in my program list. i think this may be the one that was listening on port 3306. just underneath it is mysql server 5.5 which is the one i'm using. im going to uninstall 5.1 to see if it was causing a conflict.

Date: November 05, 2013 12:10AM

well i uninstalled 5.1 and netstat had nothing listening to 3306 so i changed all the 3308 to 3306 and the icon is green but i still get the error. I hope i figure it out before anyone posts an answer.

Date: November 05, 2013 03:54AM

Well i figured it out. maybe this will help some other person and i didn't just wast good posting space.
it turns out that i was running the older version 5.1
when i uninstalled it and restarted the machine, 5.5 was running.
MySql sever 5.5 didn't have a password assigned to it because when i assigned the password i was working in 5.1
to make a long story short this is how to set a password.
open command prompt and run mysqladmin.exe
navigate to c:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql(and whatever number you have mine is 15..5.24(tab should auto fill it))\BIN
DIR
type mysqladmin -u root password (mysqladmin space -u space root space password)
if you have a password set it will give you an error. if you do not have a password set it will ask you for one. make sure you put the same password that's in your confic.inc.php.
if your not sure go to c:\wamp\apps\phpmyadmin3.5.1 and edit your config.inc.php file to see the password.

Thanks for the help LOL
I talked my way through it.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 12:24PM

The MySQL Server that comes with WAMPServer is install with service name of 'wampmysql'. That is the name you should see in your Windows Services page.

If you still see a service called mysql server 5.5 then that should be disabled or uninstalled so that you are using the mysql server that comes with WAMPServer. This will allow you to use the SWITCHING features of WAMPServer when you want to move to a more up to date version of MySQL Server.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.