Loaded Extensions....
Posted by: Dequ (---.range86-138.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 16, 2012 05:28PM

If an Extension is shown as "loaded" on the PHPinfo page ( [localhost] ) Does this mean that the Extension is loaded but not necessarily enabled, or does it mean that it is also enabled?

Regards
Neil C

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loaded Extensions....
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2012 05:57PM

The second one you said smiling smiley

lets define enabled:
An enabled extension means that the ; is removed from the 
;extension = extension_name.dll

There is two reasons why an enabled extension may not load into php
1. the file is not actually in the ext folder.
2. the ext is not compatiable with the php version

All loaded extensions are definitely enabled in the php.ini
But not all enabled extensions in the php.ini may be loaded into php because of the 2 above reasons

Hope thats clear smiling smiley

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2012 05:57PM by stevenmartin99.

Posted by: Dequ (---.range86-138.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 16, 2012 06:00PM

Brilliant, thanks Steve.... And of course the other issue is that there are settings and extensions that are enabled by default... Just managed to work that one out as your reply arrived.

Strange as it may seem, I am enjoying getting my head around the WAMP server and its settings and ini file!
I suspect my life may be sadder than I originally thought!

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2012 06:09PM

yes, The default php build has a number or external extensions enabled by default.

By External or "Dynamic" i mean there is a seperate dll file in the ext folder for it.

There is also some internal or "static" extensions included in php, you have no choice but to have these
enabled but they also show up as "loaded" even though you do not have a choice to disabled them.

so technically if you want to talk about them , they are not enabled in the php.ini but are loaded.
there is no dll file for these.

examples would be the math extension which will show up as loaded but its already embedded into the php.exe

You can rebuild php to include most extensions statically ( Some extensions cannot be statically linked , xdebug for example) but generally you wont need to do this for web design unless you had a HUGE site and were looking for ways to get every bit of speed out of your server.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.