HTTP 404 not found using Win 7 WAMP 2.2
Posted by: sailing2befree (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 28, 2012 07:43PM

Hi!
When I choose localhost from the WAMP menu, I get the error HTTP 404 not found. I have seen other posts with similar problems, but none of the solutions have worked for me. I have Windows 7 and installed the x64 WAMP 2.2 installation. When it was first installed, I followed the default installation and it came up with the yellow WAMP icon. Following the other forums, I disabled Norton's anti-virus/firewall and removed Skype with no change. Following one user's advice, I changed the Apache listen port to 8080 and the WAMP symbol turned green, but the "HTTP 404 not found" when choosing localhost has not changed with all of the modifications I have made. I checked the windows firewall and made certain it was off. I have no other programs running. I'm using the latest IE and do not have firefox or other browsers installed.
Help! I'm taking a PHP course and this is the software being used to teach the course, but they offer no support.
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HTTP 404 not found using Win 7 WAMP 2.2
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: July 02, 2012 04:48PM

If you had to change the Listen port from 80 to something else then some other piece of software on your PC is using port 80.

1. using the wamp manager icon in the system tray do the following:
left click wamp manager -> Apache -> Service -> Test Port 80

This should load a command window and in that it should tell you what is using port 80.

If you cant remove/re-configure that software gat back here and tell us what it is.

2. Check the following file:
In C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc there is a file called HOSTS

On Windows 7 I seem to remember it contains the following 2 references to localhost

::1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost

Make sure that the ::1 line is commented out with a #. So it should be #::1 localhost
Make sure that the 127.0.0.1 localhost line exists and is NOT commented out.

PS the HOSTS file cannot be edited unless you are an Administrator. So start your editor using a "shift + Right Click"
and select the "Run As Administrator" option from the menu that should be presented.

Posted by: sailing2befree (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 08, 2012 02:02AM

Hi RiggsFolly -thank you so much for responding and sorry for the delay in replying!

I did as you suggested and it is now running. I ran the Test Port 80 and it returned the following message:

Your port 80 is actually used by: Server: Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0

I looked up this server and found the following under "problems with Apache and port 80:"

"Stop Web Deployment Agent Service (MsDepSvc) from Administrative Tools > Services area. You can disable the service, to have port 80 ready when you boot your system.

The following article will explain about this service, you can follow the link below to read more.

Microsoft Web Deploy:
[weblogs.asp.net];

(I'm not certain what app this was installed with so not certain what this will affect down the road, but WAMP is running and that's what I need now. Now to get WAMP SQL to like the database I created with Heidi MySQL interface, but that's another problem.)
Thanks again!
sailing2befree

Posted by: perezElGris (---.230.223.184.speedy.net.pe)
Date: July 09, 2012 04:22AM

Be careful, it might be that disabling IIS is not enought to make it work. It could be also the SQL Server the one which is using the port, so you should disable this one as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.