Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: localhost - Unable to connect - Cannot find Server
Posted by: zooshx (---.hsd1.az.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2012 06:59AM

Had the same issue (orange Wamp icon, unable to load [localhost] in browser)...

- Checked my hosts file -- looked fine.
- Reinstalled Wamp
- No error logs

Two things:

- Installed both C++ libraries to fix the "missing MVCR100.dll" error I was getting (intermittently) ... see this: [forum.wampserver.com]
- My WINDOWS FIREWALL popped up and alerted me it was blocking something, and I clicked unblock and then ... viola. Wamp icon went green.

Check your firewall settings. Hope this helps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shawndeprey (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2012 10:10PM

I know this is an old topic, but, I just ran into this scenario and felt I should explain my very simple solution.

Left click wamp icon > Apache > Service > Install Service

This will install the apache service on your machine. This worked for me as after I installed the service my server booted right up without an issue.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: November 03, 2012 10:11PM

ill leave your post there, but its not helpful, wamp installs it automatically

if yours didnt install its because you didnt have the 2010 redis installed before

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: valerie (193.194.113.---)
Date: November 27, 2012 12:38AM

don't know if it's gonna help anybody, but i spent much time trying to figure out what was using port 80 and it turned out to be Dropbox

Posted by: jzendah (188.161.86.---)
Date: January 01, 2013 11:07AM

This problem may be due to your firewall settings. After installation, Windows should prompt to you a dialog asking you about allowing or blocking Apache from running, and you should answer with allow. Basically check your firewall settings.

Best regards.

Posted by: andrej16 (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: January 13, 2013 12:31PM

I have the same problem with wamp orange icon nothing is loading in the brower. does someone has any other ideas, tried everything here. Used to work on my older laptop. ( using wndows 7)

Date: January 13, 2013 12:44PM

thats not much help to go on...

get teamviewer and ill take a look if you like

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Posted by: Vietster (183.80.101.---)
Date: January 31, 2013 10:51AM

Hey Stevemartin is it possible if you can help me out and team viewer with me please.. I can't seem to be able to fix any of these problems.. if Possible please message me at Hotmail please and thank you

Viet.pk@hotmail.com

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: January 31, 2013 01:12PM

Viet,

Send me a Private Message with your TeamViewer ID and Password. I will have a look. I am available now and for a couple of hours.

Posted by: dooro01 (---.FTTH.ispfabriek.nl)
Date: February 01, 2013 12:51PM

Hi All,

As all users before I also have the problem of the orange icon for WAMP.

My Test Port 80: says that the port is not in use.
I'm running on the local machine.
Firewall has even turned off to be sure.

hostfile has only entry :
127.0.0.1 localhost

i'm running windows 7 on a 64 bits server.
I've Teamviewer 8 available (not on port 80!)

Is there anybody out there willingly to assist me in getting this fixed?

you can mail me on : roel@dooremaal.nl

regards Roel!

Date: February 01, 2013 01:29PM

Roel,

I just emailed you.

Posted by: lpickup (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2013 05:13PM

Seems like the topic that just won't end!

Okay, I'm in the same boat.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit OS

I once had WAMPSERVER actually running on this machine, but I recently made a hardware change and now I get stuck at the orange icon.

The hardware change I made was to move an external USB drive that used to connect directly to my PC to my router as a NAS device. The drive used to be known as drive E: on my system. I now did a "map network drive" to the drive and it is still known as E:. However, I have installed WAMPSERVER on my C: drive anyway, so that change should not affect the base server operation. I do have one of my aliases pointing to the E: drive for the web site I develop.

I've followed what I think are all of the above advice:
- Reinstalled WAMPSERVER (currently running 2.2; Apache 2.2.22; PHP 5.4.3; MySQL 5.5.20 (I also have 5.5.24 installed, but MySQL is actually starting up)
- Rebooted my machine
- Made sure the VC++ 2010 runtime environment is installed (just to be sure I even re-ran the install which did a "repair", although I don't think it actually did anything). VC++ 2008 x86 and x64 also installed.
- Checked my port 80 using netstat -aon and the port 80 checker built into the WAMPSERVER manager. Both show nothing using port 80. I don't have Skype installed on this machine.
- Checked my hosts file and it is set up correctly with 127.0.0.1 localhost
- Tried installing the Apache service, although I agree that this is already done.
- Turned off my Windows firewall (at least temporarily for a test)
- Changed the icons path in the httpd-autoindex.conf file

I think that basically covers all the advice and ideas given so far.

I went ahead and did a little more digging though.

I checked the wampapache service from Task Manager and saw it was "Stopped". Trying to start the service from the task manager results in a popup that says:

Unable to Start Service
The operation could not be completed.
Access is deined.

Then I went to the Control Panel service manager. You get a little more info when you try to start the service there:

Windows could not start the wampapache on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 1.

Then I checked the Event log. Not a whole lot of information, but basically says:

The wampapache service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect function.
Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7024
Level: Error
User: N/A
OpCode Info
Logged: 2/7/2013 10:18:05 AM
Task Category: None
Keywords: Classic
Computer: BigBoss

That's about all I can do going down the service path.

So I tried to run httpd.exe directly from the Apache bin directory.

The first time I tried it did pop up many different popups about PHP entry points not being found in the php module. Sorry I don't have the exact wordings, because that prompted me to check my PHP version and I was not pointing to the latest version. I corrected this and re-ran and now the httpd comes up without any errors and my web server (and PHP and MySQL) are all running fine, provided I am willing to start Apache manually.

So the problem appears to be that WAMPSERVER is not able to start Apache as a service, although it doesn't appear to be anything wrong with Apache itself. I do get the standard Windows security popup when I run Start Wampserver, and of course I answer Yes to give it permission to "make changes to this computer". But it still doesn't succeed.

Not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

...Lance

Date: February 07, 2013 05:22PM

Apache doesn't support networked drives using a mapped letter.

There is no notation available to denote the mapping such as // or \\

Remove this and restart apache

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: February 07, 2013 06:33PM

I'm not sure what to remove.

Other than one of my aliases that does point to E:\..., everything else is local on my C: drive.

And actually even if I wanted to remove that alias, I don't really know how, because when I go to "Delete Alias" I get an error popup that says:

Could not execute menu item (internal error) [Exception] Could not perform service action: The service has not been started.

Besides, when I run Apache manually, it seems to have no problem at all accessing my mapped network drive. I get to my alias just fine.

Date: February 07, 2013 06:53PM

can i take a look it with teamviewer?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: February 07, 2013 08:03PM

Teamviewer coordinates sent via PM. Thanks!

..Lance

Date: February 08, 2013 01:57PM

Thank you to Steven who did show that the problem in fact was that I had an alias defined on my network drive that was causing the service to fail to start. The Wampserver tray menu would not let me delete that alias because the service was not running, so Steven went into the wamp\alias directory and removed the offending file. Then the service came up fine (albeit without my alias).

Presumably the reason is that you don't want your server to be able to access network resources (for security reasons I suppose). While that makes sense in general, in my case it doesn't.

Interestingly, when I started Apache manually myself it had no trouble getting access to those files. And I even tried to configure the service to log on as me (and a separate dedicated account as well) but no luck there. He did send me to a page: [httpd.apache.org] where about halfway down they talk about enabling the service to be able to access network resources. Unfortunately it was written with Windows NT, Windows 2000, and even Windows XP (but I assume Professional). The instructions were definitely not applicable to Windows 7 Home that I am using. As of now I am trying to map their recommendations over to my system but have been unsuccessful. At any rate, that's what the current issue is, not with wampserver itself. If I make any headway I'll inform here, but for now that's where it stands.

Posted by: yuvi.k (117.200.188.---)
Date: June 20, 2013 04:12PM

i am unable to get localhost page and i am not finding the server

Date: June 20, 2013 05:08PM

Please start a new thread and describe you problem. Include info on your Operating System and the version of WAMP you installed, and anything else that may be of use to identify your problem.

Posted by: valdek (---.102.128.208.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: June 21, 2013 02:20AM

I ran to similar issues on Win7 home premium. Wamp server started normally, the tray icon changed from red to orange, to normal green and all was fine until I downloaded InternetExploref 10 for Windows 7. Initially the performance degraded noticeably (long page load times), my Chrome browser stopped working completly, and then the Wamp icon never changed from orange to green again. I tried everything, until I ran PC tools registry cleaner in deep clean mode. It found 11 issues & mended them. I renamed my old wamp folder and did a virgin install of newly downloaded wamp 64 bit with Apache. Things are working fine again now, though I'm afraid to launch IE10. Did anybody notice compatibility issues between IE10 & wamp and between IE10 & other browsers? IE10 promos tout performance optimizations, and true, it appears much more responsive than prior versions, but do these "optimizations" clobber other services? Has anybody else observed the correlation?

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.