Install multiple wordpress sites on WAMP locally
Posted by: newcomer (202.80.46.---)
Date: November 25, 2010 03:42AM

Can I install multiple sites/blogs on my WAMP server , this is for testing of sites before I go Live....

If there is a posibility then please explain what steps to take...

What Wordpress files to edit I definetly know WP-CONFIG.PHP is one..

Alos what steps to take in phpMyAdmin control panel when creating different databases for the two sites..

Remember I will import the sql database for those sites from the online database to the locall database..

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Install multiple wordpress sites on WAMP locally
Posted by: warmsunshine (---.Red-83-59-151.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: November 26, 2010 02:01PM

I currently have almost 100 test domains running on Wampserver - as far as I can see, there is no limit. This is for testing only, on my Windows computer.

You will need to set up multiple sites on your server - have a look at Virtual Hosts. Then you can run sites with domain names like [this] and [that] rather than just [localhost]

You should normally use a separate database for each domain. So wp-config will refer to the database for that domain. I use code in wp-config (wp-config is not changed during a Wordpress upgrade) to decide whether the program is running on the test server or on the live server, and then set the database name, passwords, etc suitably.

One problem with Wordpress is that you can't just copy the Wordpress database, as the options table contains the domain name, locations for upload of files, etc., which is a shame as otherwise Wordpress is so useful

Pete

Re: Install multiple wordpress sites on WAMP locally
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2010 08:27PM

You need to setup Access, DNS, and VH; Access for permission to connect to your Wamp PC, DNS to tie domain(s) to your Wamp PC, and VH to host multiple domains/websites and even you have only 1 domain/IP, you should use VH to set it up w/ the site you want to show up first on top and localhost on bottom and others in middle if having more than 1 site; then you can access locally w/ 'http://site'; if dont have real domain, just skip DNS guide

To setup Access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup VH, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup DNS, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.