PHPMyAdmin was working now won't - Also Questions
Posted by: MikeSD (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 02:28PM

First, I'm running WAMP Server on a Vista system.

I installed the latest version of WAMP server yesterday and the default installation worked perfectly. Apache worked, I could access files in www. PHP seemed to work and Php info came up. I tried PHPMyAdmin and it worked fine. I even created a database and a table. This all worked, if I used [localhost]

However, nothing was accessible from the internet. After a bit of checking I found that (I believe) I need to change the "Listen 80" configuration setting, to another port. So I selected 8080 and set port forwarding.

I also changed "ServerName" to my actual external IP address.

After restarting all services, everything is back to the way it was except that now I get
"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /phpmyadmin/ on this server.", when I try to access PHPMyAdmin.

Those changes just mentioned are the only changes I made to the default install.

1) Should everything work proplerly with only those two changes I made, after install? Or was there something I missed.

2) What is the preferable port to use with Vista?

3) Why am I getting the "Forbidden" error when I try to access PHPMyAdmin? The alias file has " Allow from 127.0.0.1". I have no idea what the significance of this is. what should it be?

4) WAMP was a clean install but there isn't much documentation that I can find on configurations. Can someone point me to a good source of documentaton for configuration?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PHPMyAdmin was working now won't - Also Questions
Posted by: c2dan (---.15-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 06:29PM

By default WAMP only allows access to phpMyAdmin using the local address 127.0.0.1 (aka localhost).

As you have now changed Apache servername from localhost to your IP Address it wont allow to access to phpMyAdmin as your IP Address is not the same as the local address.

To fix simply edit C:\wamp\alias\phpmyadmin.conf and change this line
Allow from 127.0.0.1

To
Allow from 127.0.0.1 YOUR_IP_ADDRESS_HERE

Save and restart the Apache Service. You should now be able to access phpMyAdmin from your IP.

Posted by: MikeSD (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2009 12:40AM

Since that is the case, it's probably a good idea not to allow access outside of localhost. I could just access it by: [127.0.0.1]

But I have to edit that URL each time. Where can I make the change so that the index file has this IP for PHPMyAdmin, instead of the new external IP?

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2009 02:33AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.