Access WAMP Server from LAN, Images/CSS not showing up
Posted by: josephrg (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 09:32AM

I am able to access my WAMP server from other computers in my network via the host computer's IP. However, the page the site that I am accessing is not complete.

There is missing CSS, Photos, etc... On the host machine the site runs fine. All graphics and images show up just fine, only when I access it from another computer do I have this problem.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

I've searched the forums, and I'm not completely helpless when it comes to this stuff, but I am not able to find a solution.

Again, thank you for checking this out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Access WAMP Server from LAN, Images/CSS not showing up
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2009 04:44PM

Posted by: rub1 (194.19.96.---)
Date: November 03, 2009 01:24PM

I have the same problem josephrg has/had, I've read the guides yfastud but it still don't work...
I have changed my port from 80 to 8080 in the httpd.conf file.

On the local machine everything works and on others not even the CSS or About page work, I can't access the WP-Admin page.

Here's a picture of the wordpress site from both the local (right) and virtual machine (left), the virtual machine and other machines on the network has the same problem.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras2.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: November 03, 2009 01:41PM

ul need to make wordpress use 8080 .

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: November 03, 2009 01:57PM

As you can see on the picture i posted, on the localmachine (right) it runs fine on port 8080, but not on the virtual-/networkmachine.
I had the same problem when I used port 80, but I tryed to reinstall wamp and then changed to port 8080 before i did the wordpress installation.

Posted by: josephrg (206.53.157.---)
Date: November 03, 2009 02:48PM

I am not at my computer at the moment. However, this was such an annoyance to me that I think I documented the fix.

When I get to my computer I will check for any documentation.

If you get it fixed please post the fix. I have a feeling when I get to the computer I won't be able to find the documents.

Posted by: jsetgo (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: November 05, 2009 04:40AM

Hi Joseph,

I am having the exact same problem, can you help me out?

Date: November 06, 2009 01:17AM

if already followed my guide and still face same problem then your firewall/antivirus block full access so either add exception for wamp or uninstall firewall/antivirus, restart pc and reinstall firewall/antivirus while wamp is running

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: November 09, 2009 07:51AM

Now I've tried it on another computer and still have the same problem. This computer has Windows 7, no antivirus and only default Windows Firewall. (And yes I've tried both your guides yfastud)

josephrg: Any information you have would be helpful.

jsetgo: Found any solution?

Date: November 09, 2009 08:58AM

I apologize for the delay. I can't find any info on it.

This is my only suggestion, I don't know if this is in the guides, it's been a while since I looked.

Comp A: Computer with wamp server
Comp B: Computer connecting via LAN

On Comp B I edited the hosts file to point http:// localhost as the IP of Comp A.

So in my case the edit to the hosts file of Comp B was as follows:

192.168.1.8 localhost

Of course you would use the IP of the your computer which is running WAMP (Comp A) instead of mine, and it would be a good idea to have static IPs for this.

You could also change any references to http:// localhost on your site to the IP of Comp A. In wordpress it isn't that hard to do, other sites may be a little more difficult.

Everything that follows is just an explanation, you don't have to read on.

The reason this works for me is because when I installed wordpress or built any of my sites on Comp A they were installed at http:// localhost instead of using the Comp A IP address. So when I went to my site from Comp B via the IP address of Comp A any info located at http:// localhost on the site would resolve back to Comp B since localhost at Comp B is the Comp B IP address.

Basically Comp B had the right directions, but the wrong map.

When you make the change to the hosts file you will basically be redirecting http:// localhost to Comp A instead of Comp B. In short, you're changing the localhost of Comp B to be the IP address of Comp A.

I just did a quick test on my Comp B. When I removed the line "192.168.1.8 localhost" from my host file I was able to replicate the problem.

Sorry this is long winded. I just hate when people give me solutions without explaining how it works.

One more time:
Use static IPs, on Comp A at the very least
Go to the host file of Comp B (if on windows it is located in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc)
Add a new line to the end with the IP of Comp A followed by the word "localhost" Example: 192.168.1.1 localhost
Make sure there isn't a hash # in front of the line you just created
Save and try the site again (if you're on windows 7 or vista you may need to open the file with administrator rights)

If this doesn't work for you we didn't have the same problem and hopefully you get it resolved. If this does work for you, congrats, because it took me forever to figure this out myself, even though everyone on this site was more than helpful.

Please let me know if this works for you.

If anyone has anything else to add or correct me on please do. Or if there are any better suggestions please let me know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2009 09:06AM by josephrg.

Date: November 10, 2009 02:21AM

if you follow my vh guide from start to end, you should not have that problem

Sorry this is long winded. I just hate when people give me solutions without explaining how it works.
different people will have different ways to talk about the same thing, so explanation sometimes just make thing worst; anyway, for the record, after your whole long post, there is still no explanation winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: November 10, 2009 03:36AM

Sorry you took it personally.

I'll break it down for you.

My computer that didn't have WAMP wasn't able to access certain content.
The reason for this is that my computer didn't know where to look.
By editing the host file I gave it the correct directions.
Now I am able to access the content I was not able to access before.

That's as simple an explanation I can give. It omits some details, but that's ok.

Either way I found the part of your guide that people might overlook and this is when they have the problem.

It's Step 6 of your Virtual Host guide. [guides.jlbn.net]

just an FYI when I said "Sorry this is long winded. I just hate when people give me solutions without explaining how it works." I wasn't referring to your guide. In fact your guide is a great resource, and it is where I find the solution to my problem originally.

So that's it. If someone is having a problem similar to mine they have probably skipped a step in your guide, and most likely Step 6.

Date: November 10, 2009 06:12AM

no, I didn't take it personal as you thought, just a comment on that part of your post since we see a lot of guides including explanations out there for same things but different people have different ways to explain which cause a lot people get lost or miss a step or 2, thus our guides only provide steps to do w/o any explanation winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.