Quick Backup
Posted by: FredTheFifth (---.range86-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 26, 2009 05:58PM

Hi All,

This is on a WAMP server 2.0h on my XP laptop.

I am going to make quite a few changes that will be recorded in one of the SQL Daabases. Its going to be a bit hit or miss, and I may decide to go back to as it was before, so I would do a backup beforehand.

Is as simple as making a copy of the www folder, or do I need to copy the wamp folder or is more complicated than what I am asking here?

Thank for any help.
FTF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick Backup
Posted by: toumimi (---.114.116-78.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: July 26, 2009 06:40PM

Not sure what you want to do...
If you want to backup your databases, then you can use export functionnality in phpmyadmin.
Folder www contains all your projects and php files (no data stored in it).

Florian

WampServer Patch (Screenshots)
Topic EN : www.wampserver.com
Topic FR : www.wampserver.com

Date: July 26, 2009 07:08PM

Hi,

Being as I have access to the complete directory structure, I am wondering if making a copy of the wamp or www folder and tucking it away would be a way of backing up everything. Sure, I could export the database, but that doesn't pick up any of the other stuff that I might have changed on my site.

All my site settings surely have to be held in the directory structure below wamp. For example there is a lot of sql stuff in C:\wamp\bin\mysql\

Just trying to find the easiest way of doing a quick, non specific, all or nothing site backup.

Does that help?

Thanks for replying.
FTF

Date: July 26, 2009 07:21PM

If you want do do a full backup, you still need to do an export of your databases...

If you want a specific backup, you can save your www folder (projects), alias folder (if you have defined aliases), and all configuration files :
=> wamp/bin/apache/apache_version/conf/httpd.conf
=> wamp/bin/apache/apache_version/php.ini
=> wamp/bin/mysql/mysql_version/my.ini
=> wamp/apps/phpmyadmin_version/config.inc.php

This proc is useful if you want to delete all wamp folder (ex: for reinstallation)

Florian

Date: July 26, 2009 07:30PM

Ok, thanks.

Bear with me ... why is it that a copy of the whole directory structure that (I assume) contains the applications and their data is not sufficient?

I'm not doubting, just trying to understand.

Cheers.
FTF

Date: July 26, 2009 07:44PM

Problem is not to save your datas, but it is not sure that you can restore them by just moving your folder, especially if you use innodb.. I don't want to let luck choosing if I can import or not my datas winking smiley

Then, it's a good idea to regularly export your databases (complete or not with structures and datas), and you will get an sql file that you can restore, modify, and install on another computer (or on a server)..

Florian

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2009 06:02AM

Date: July 27, 2009 11:41PM

Thanks for all your help.
FTF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.