I loaded wamp, where is mysql?
Posted by: GIDMEISTER (71.167.164.---)
Date: June 11, 2009 05:58PM

I want to run a free online commerce package called 'oscommerce' on my Windows PC, so I can do programming work for someone else. It requires MySql, PHP, and Apache Server. So I downloaded WAMP, thinking I am getting all 3 of these at once. I tested the apache server and the PHP, and that works. But when I try going to 'oscommerce's install web page, it says it will take me through a wizard and then asks me where my database is, where my database server is, and what my userid and password are for the database.
I assume they are talking about a 'mysql' database, but I don't know where to find that database. In face, I can't find 'mysql' at all.
Its not in 'start/programs', so I don't know where else to look for it.
If anyone knows where to find it, please let me know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I loaded wamp, where is mysql?
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 11, 2009 06:06PM

Posted by: c2dan (---.15-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 06:26PM

You dont tell oscommerce where mysql is installed to. MySQL does come with wamp.

Oscommerce will need 4 bits of info from you:

1. Mysql hostname. This is the web/ip address to your mysql server. 99% of the time you'd use localhost as the hostname
2. MySQL username. This will be the username for your mysql database.
3. MySQL password. This is the password for the username you use above.
4. MySQL database name. This is the database oscommerce will use.

To setup databases follow the guide by yfastud above.

Date: June 12, 2009 04:31PM

I started following the steps in the blog that the moderator kindly provided, but I hit a roadblock.
First of all, the blog gives instructions to set up a database for wampserver. I interpret that as saying that this database can be used for 'oscommerce' or any other application that I want to use it for. So to create a new database account, I left-clicked on the wamp tray icon and a menu popped up. I selected 'phpMyAdmin' and got a page that had a form for creating databases. This is already wrong, because I'm supposed to first get a login screen for phpMyAdmin. I clicked a link in the instructions to get info on how to setup this password, but it took me to a website that described 'guides' to various things but did not seem to actually supply the actual guides. So I gave up on that and I took another look at the webpage that I got by left clicking on the wamp tray icon, and it had 2 warnings:
1)
Your configuration file contains settings (root with no password) that correspond to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should fix this security hole by setting a password for user '.root'.
2)
Your PHP MySQL library version 5.0.51a differs from your MySQL server version 5.1.33. This may cause unpredictable behavior.

I'm wonder how #2 could have arisen? Did Wamp make the mistake or did I? I also don't know how to handle #1.
Thanks,
GidMeister

Posted by: c2dan (---.15-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: June 12, 2009 06:51PM

To setup passwords follow this guide [guides.jlbn.net]

You can ignore the second error. No need to worry about this.

Before using phpmyadmin you should have a good understanding of the basics of MySQL. phpmyadmin is just to a tool to easily manage your mysql server via a web based gui. Knowing the basics will help you use phpmyadmin more efficiently.

Date: June 13, 2009 09:39PM

After following your instructions, I can run phpMyAdmin. I had to edit a 'config.inc.php' file (there are several in wamp) to put in the database password.
So now I went to the install.php page of oscommerce, and it asked me for

1. Mysql hostname. This is the web/ip address to your mysql server. 99% of the time you'd use localhost as the hostname
2. MySQL username. This will be the username for your mysql database.
3. MySQL password. This is the password for the username you use above.
4. MySQL database name. This is the database oscommerce will use.

I put in 'localhost' for #1
I put in a username for #2
I put in the password I had used for mysql for #3
I put in a database that I had created in mysql that has no tables in it for #4.

But I get an error message. Perhaps I've forgotten the correct username. Is there a place I can look that up? The error message is: There is a problem connecting to the database server, access denied for user GidMeister@localhost (using password YES)
Thanks for your help.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2009 09:58PM

you have to use info that you created when follow this guide
[blog.jlbn.net]
for example, if you use "oscommerce" in step 4, then info you need to fill in are
1. Mysql hostname: localhost
2. MySQL username: oscommerce
3. MySQL password: oscommerce
4. MySQL database name: oscommerce
then follow the rest winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.