How can I block bots IP?
Posted by: Kirk Fraser (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: June 08, 2009 06:29AM

My phpBB somehow attracted hundreds of spambots. I've had to close down registrations and guest posting but I still get 200Kb to 600Kb log growth a day. So I was hoping there is a way to create a file under WAMP of IP's to block or ignore requests from. I'd happily let search bots review me but the ones that post and try to post spam I don't need. I can get the IP's to block from the WAMP log. Please tell me how to have WAMP block them. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How can I block bots IP?
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2009 01:43PM

block ip would not do much good since spammers's soft will always auto change fake ip, so I suggest you google for some spam blockers add-on to your phpbb instead winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 01:44PM by yfastud.

Date: June 08, 2009 10:32PM

As you've described another form of virus activity, I think having a programmable IP blocker is in order - especially since my phpBB is just a fraction of the problem. I'm hosting 3 different websites on an old one core desktop under Wamp and the phpBB is just a small deletable part of one of them. So I need a generic IP block, not just a phpBB block.

Date: June 09, 2009 03:09PM

So how / where would you suggest I start looking for this feature? Which .php file could it be added to if I do it?

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2009 05:22PM

you can use htaccess file or might interested in this thread
[danielwebb.us]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: June 12, 2009 08:00AM

Thanks much! I have built a list of over 50 bad bot IP's for my htaccess file but two questions came up.

One is how can I be certian they are blocked since some log entries of blocked sites have repeated again after adding their IP, exiting Wamp, then starting again to make sure it reads the file?

The second question is, does the abbreviation of IP's documented in the latest Apache docs work in this situation or do we need to wait for a future Wamp for this to work?

deny from 194.8.75 #DOES THIS ONE INCLUDE ALL THE FOLLOWING?

deny from 194.8.75.92 #Great Britain
deny from 194.8.75.96 #Great Britain
deny from 194.8.75.141 #Great Britain
deny from 194.8.75.206 #Great Britain

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras2.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: June 12, 2009 02:44PM

you need

order allow, deny
allow from all
Deny from 194.8.75

this will block all 256 ips of that subset on wamp

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: June 13, 2009 07:09PM

Thank you both very much!

I now have a list of over 900 blocked IP's attempting to access my /BBS files. If anyone wants the list, say so and I'll post it, or email, your choice.

Some do it even after they request the robot.txt file which directs them away. Had I known this earlier I could have saved earlier logs and blocked many more.

Some may be inappropriately blocked, perhaps search engines, but mostly it's spammers. On the full subset blocks I did it only when 5 entries or more were from the same subset.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.