[Suggestion] Edit hosts file
Posted by: scitrek (---.32-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it)
Date: January 28, 2008 03:09PM

Hi. First of all, let me thanks you very much for this amazing tool, I use it all the time. Let me suggest a few improvements:

1. You could put there a link to a PHP script to change the MySQL default root password, it took me a while to find a way and it seems that a lot of other users had the same problem...

2. An "edit hosts file" link to edit in the default system editor (or a custom editor) the windows hosts file would be great, expecially for those (like myself) running more than one server (i.e. one in the main pc and one in the laptop) using a dynamic DNS service (like dydns.com) to redirect dynamically to their IPs. Personally, I use to test Joomla sites and I often change the hosts file in my laptop to make my site URL to point to localhost, and then again to the web. It would be very useful to implement such a thing.

About the second point, I tried to edit the INI and the config files of WAMP 5, but I couldn't make the "Filename" part to work, it is constantly blank...

Thanks a lot, again!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [Suggestion] Edit hosts file
Posted by: rip_pit (---.w82-125.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: January 29, 2008 05:44PM

nice idea.
I'll maybe do something to do the first part. (pma mysql password) if it's possible to and if i have time to.

At this time, i'm doing a script to modify the default root folder in the apache .conf file

Maybe my next script !

For the second part, i never edited the hosts files to use with wamp, so i won't be of any help. The virtual hosts files ?

I find a tool to edit apache .conf file that work with hosts file too :
Kochizz at [www.opendev.fr]

---------------------------------------------
XP SP3 - pIV - 3.2Ghz - 1.5Go de ram - Wamp 2.0

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2008 07:05PM

It's one of my guides I'm working on and since I didn't post it yet, I didn't have comment about this before, but it would be as in the illustrated image below, which added the vhosts file in the menu, and of course you can add more items

[i117.photobucket.com]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 09:02PM by yfastud.

Posted by: rip_pit (---.w82-125.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: January 29, 2008 08:09PM

great ! i hope to see that alive soon !!

you'll do that with php scripts ?

---------------------------------------------
XP SP3 - pIV - 3.2Ghz - 1.5Go de ram - Wamp 2.0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.