would like to provide email account to my users
Posted by: beergardenfree (---.mynow.co.uk)
Date: November 09, 2007 07:32PM

sorry for being a bit of a newbie on this....just got aquainted with php and my sql which is what my server is using and i have set up site with a user database so peoples can login or register but i want my site users to have a mail box for sending an receiving emails and would like to know the basic abc to get it done.

would anyone know the best way or maybe a link to some good article on that?

Cheers everyone smiling smiley

Sylvestre

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: would like to provide email account to my users
Posted by: toivo (203.19.130.---)
Date: November 09, 2007 08:40PM

Hi,

If you use WAMP as your server, please note that it does not come with an email server. Otherwise, you need a mailserver like sendmail or qmail. At least one of them usually come with Linux distributions. Otherwise you are limited to what your hosting provider offers.

Most CMS applications like Joomla have some kind of a internal messaging system, and forum applications like vBulletin can optionally allow members to send instant messages to each other either within the system or through email. The email messages rely on the server, which can be WAMP, sending the messages through an SMTP server to the addressee's mailbox on another SMTP server.

Regards,

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Re: would like to provide email account to my users
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: November 09, 2007 09:05PM

Most CMS applications like Joomla have some kind of a internal messaging system, and forum applications like vBulletin can optionally allow members to send instant messages to each other either within the system or through email.
vBulletin is not free so I've never use it, but already tried w/ Joomla older version and it doesn't work since all users are remotely access, and when they sign up, it reply on email for confirmation and activation, but wamp doesn't come w/ mail server. Not sure if the current Joomla version would overcome that issue so it could be used for local access only

Have fun,

[test.jlbn.net] (Sample Testing Codes for PHP, MySQL, ASP.net, SQL, JSP)
[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP & Add-ons)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.