Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Setting up Perl with Wamp
Posted by: postit (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 05:53AM

Hi!
I just passed a perl class where I did all my work on an already configured server. I have installed wamp and used it for php/mysql before but I need to be able to use perl as well....
I saw some posts that there was a perl add on but I dont see that listed on the websites download section.
I attempted to run scripts from C:\wamp\Apache2\cgi-bin but they did not compile and execute. I'm a total noob, what steps should I take to make this work?

Postit

Chillax

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Setting up Perl with Wamp
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 09:52AM

you will need to dowload and install the perl addon, and then setup wamp yourself to get perl to work. search this forum for perl the steps have been posted before.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: postit (---.216.41.27.conversent.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 09:36PM

I did search the website but I could not find a download for the perl add on anywhere. Can you direct me to where I might be able to get the add on? Its not listed in wampserver.com's downloads or add ons section...

Chillax

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 09:45PM

Download here instead

[downloads.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 04:34AM

download from official download location:
[www.wampserver.com]

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Posted by: pappathan (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2008 07:00PM

postit wrote: 'I could not find a download for the perl add on anywhere'

I have also tried to locate the Perl add-on with no sucess.

Has this item been discontinued?

Thank you for any answer,

Paul

Posted by: technoman (---.17-57-74.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: June 25, 2008 04:43AM

here is an add on PERL for wamp5

i found this yesterday on google

[files.filefront.com]

[have fun]

backup your server before you install this add on just in case

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2008 04:53AM by technoman.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 25, 2008 11:30PM

Nope, this won't work w/ wamp2 and will crash your server :-(

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: June 26, 2008 04:45PM

Thank you both for your responses, I appreciate it.

I will install perl dev independently from wamp2 on a compatible mini-server.

Regards,

Paul

Date: June 28, 2008 10:00AM

actually this is 1.6.4 perl add on for wamp

in order for the perl to work on this add-on is a wamp 1.6.4

you need to have 1.6.4 wamp in order to have the perl add on for this version

this link is the add on perl for wamp 1.6.4

you still need wamp 1.6.4 in order for this perl to work

all newer wamp versions wont work with this add-on for perl

[files.filefront.com]

__

I havent found yet a perl add-on for wamp2

for the new version yet

__
but if you want to try the older version of wamp then at least it will do for now and you can have perl work until

we find you a new add-on for the new version

Date: June 28, 2008 01:57PM

As mentioned in the other post, as soon as I finish the instruction guide for ASP.net, I will post the instruction guide for Perl, so check my personal website for the update

[guides.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: June 30, 2008 05:23PM

<<As mentioned in the other post>>
Sorry for cross-posting, this thread was the first I found by date and subject.

I will gladly wait for your new guide at jlbn.net (already have the site bookmarked of course).
Thank you for all the instructions you make available to us.
And thats again technoman for your efforts on my behalf!

Best regards,

Paul

Date: June 30, 2008 08:11PM

As mentioned, I've just finished ASP.net guide, and Perl guide will posted any time soon ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: technoman (---.acanac.net)
Date: June 30, 2008 11:17PM

yfastud

do you have a approxity date for circulation of this manual thats being made by you and coming soon for perl ?

Date: July 01, 2008 03:14PM

I've finished Perl installation and taken all needed screenshots, and it will posted w/i this week hopefully ;-)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: July 01, 2008 07:03PM

ok cant wait until your finnished with screen-shots ...
my fingers are crossed maybe tonight smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2008 07:04PM by technoman.

Date: July 02, 2008 04:33AM

Since you're so insist, here is for tonight, the first page ;-)

[guides.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: technoman (---.acanac.net)
Date: July 05, 2008 09:42PM

first is having to add a few lines to *http.conf* ( apache )

Installing Perl (for Perl users)

Obviously if you are going to run Perl scripts on your computer you will need to install Perl. You can obtain a Windows version of Perl free of charge from ActiveState.

Install Perl on your computer according to the instructions given by the implementation you downloaded.
Configuring Apache

1. Running Perl Scripts in a CGI directory

You can configure Apache to treat any file in a particular directory as a CGI script. Typically, web hosts call such a directory the cgi-bin directory.

To configure Apache to treat a particular directory as your script directory, search for the following line in your "httpd.conf" file.

For those who have forgotten where the "httpd.conf" file can be found, try looking for it in the "conf" directory of your Apache folder. If you used the default directories supplied by the Apache installer, it would be "c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\conf\httpd.conf".
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/cgi-bin/"

If it has been commented out, that is, if there is a hash mark ("#"winking smiley before the line, remove the hash character to enable it. If it has not been commented out, it means that your Apache is already configured to run CGI scripts in that directory. You can change the directory to another directory if you wish.
2. Running CGI scripts anywhere in your domain

If you don't want to be restricted to running CGI scripts within the ScriptAlias directory in your domain, and want CGI scripts to run anywhere in your domain, add the following line to your "httpd.conf" file.
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

You can add it yourself manually, but since the default httpd.conf file that is supplied by Apache already comes with that line commented out, the simplest thing would be to search for that string in your existing file, and remove the preceding comment character, that is, remove the "#".

If you want the .pl extension recognised as a CGI script as well, simply append the extension to the list, as follows:
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

Next, search for the line that says "<Directory /> in the file. It should look something like this:
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>

Add "+ExecCGI" to the options list. The line now looks like this:
Options FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI

3. Making a CGI Script Your Default Page

If you want to make your CGI script execute as the default page for a directory, you have to add another line to the Apache configuration file (httpd.conf). Simply search for the line in the file that begins with a "DirectoryIndex" and add "index.cgi" to the list of files on that line. For example, if the line used to be:
DirectoryIndex index.html

change it to
DirectoryIndex index.cgi index.html

The next time you access "[localhost]; or "[localhost]; without any filename specified, Apache will run "index.cgi" if available or deliver "index.html" if it cannot find "index.cgi". If you have both "index.cgi" and "index.html" in the directory, "index.cgi" is used since it's listed first.

You are not limited to the above two files. For example, I have set up Apache on my computer with the following line:
DirectoryIndex index.php index.cgi index.shtml index.html

If you have also installed PHP support and enabled server side includes in Apache, the directive will instruct Apache to look first for an index.php file, or failing that an index.cgi file, or if that could not be found, an index.shtml file, and finally an index.html file if all else fails.

That's it. Your Apache server now supports the execution of CGI scripts. You will have to restart the server before the new configuration comes into effect. The work's not ended however - read on.
Modifying Your CGI Script

As it stands, if your CGI script is a Windows executable, it would be executed by Apache correctly. However, if it's a script that relies on an interpreter such as Perl or Python, you will have to modify the first line of the script.

Your Perl script will typically contain an initial line of
#!/usr/bin/perl

or some such thing. This tells a Unix-based kernel to look for an interpreter at the path "/usr/bin/perl" and invoke it to interpret the instructions in the file.

Since the script now runs on Windows, and it is unlikely that you installed your Perl interpreter in a /usr/bin directory, you will need to change that first line to point to the real location of your Perl interpreter.

For example, on my Windows box, I have to change the first line of my Perl scripts to:
#!c:/program files/perl/bin/perl.exe

Of course if you are using other scripting languages, you will have to set that initial line to point to whatever interpreter you are using.
It's Worth It

In my opinion, it's actually worth your while to install Apache, Perl, PHP and MySQL on your own computer. Testing your scripts offline allows you to work out the most obvious bugs and problems in a setting where you don't have to worry about bringing down the real web server or incurring ISP and telephone charges. It also allows you to work more efficiently, since you can simply edit your scripts on your computer to instantly fix problems while testing, without having to re-upload them before testing again. Of course, you will still have to test it when you actually put the script on your site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2008 09:44PM by technoman.

Date: July 06, 2008 02:44AM

Date: July 19, 2008 03:03PM

Instruction guides for Perl/CGI are all finished. Enjoy ;-)

Setup Perl/CGI on Wamp:
[guides.jlbn.net]

Setup Perl/CGI for Individuals on Wamp:
[guides.jlbn.net]

And more:
[guides.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2008 03:11PM by yfastud.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.