Multiple Domains
Posted by: neat56 (---.ca.shawcable.net)
Date: August 04, 2007 09:38PM

Hi,

I jus got 1.7.2 installed and everything is working fine. I spent a few hours looking for a tutorial on how to use multiple domains on WAMP5/Apache. Each one I found was for offline testing and wouldn't work for site1.com/site2.com to be directed to the root folders I had specified for them.

How would you make it online with Virtual Hosting? I was using Xeneo Web Server before going to WAMP5. And it could host multiple domains using the domain name that corresponds to my IP address which in return is assigned a root folder. Same thing I'm trying to get WAMP5 to do.

So far, no luck. Anyone run into this before?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Multiple Domains
Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 04, 2007 10:08PM

You mean like these:

[www.jlbn.net]

[test.jlbn.net]

[downloads.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net] (Basic Guide for WAMP)

Date: August 04, 2007 10:14PM

No, not quite. I got 2 different domain names. And it won't see both because it still is using the default root folder. So only one root folder is accessible, but through both domain names. it isnt adjacent to their own. I configured "httpd-vhosts" with notepad, but after I set it up and restarted WAMP5 it still goes to my default root folder which is "www." It won't override my default root folder to the ones I had set the VirtualHost to be. And yes it is enabled. The "#" was removed.

Post Edited (08-04-07 22:19)

Date: August 04, 2007 10:18PM

You're missing a point or two, and this section is still in progress on my sites

Have fun,

Date: August 04, 2007 10:20PM

Yeah, I saw that. Damn. >=\

I guess it comes down to making it work under one IP address. 'Cause it will work on different IP addresses. But that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help.

Peace

Post Edited (08-04-07 22:23)

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2007 10:24PM

read my manual (link is in my sig.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Need help? Check out my WAMP User Manual/Guide here!

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans
Mortgage and Home Loan Advice

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Date: August 04, 2007 10:28PM

I guess it comes down to making it work under one IP address. 'Cause it will work on different IP addresses. But that's not what I'm looking for.
No, it doesn't have to be more than 1 ip

I'm hosting more than 100 sites on 1 ip, but they are from my clients, so I can't post their sites here. Anyway, I've already mentioned that you're missing a point or two. Just my 2-cent

Have fun,

Date: August 04, 2007 10:32PM

I did, and I followed it through. But the problem is that it will not override my default root folder. Maybe it doesnt have to... idk

But I have set up like this. Root folder -> My Site folders (Site1, Site2)

And in the "httpd-vhosts" file, I have it set accordingly to the paths of my root folders for each domain.

Right now, if I type in one of my domain names, it will show a directory listing of my folders for each site. It should forward to the root folder for that domain I typed in.. but it doesn't. That's where I'm stuck at the moment.

I know I'm missing something, but I have no clue what it might be...
That's why I came here =P

Post Edited (08-04-07 22:53)

Date: August 04, 2007 10:49PM

neat56 wrote:

> I did, and I followed it through. But the problem is that it
> will not override my default root folder. Maybe it doesn't have
> to... idk

using virtual host you can use different locations for each domain, that way you can keep site 1 in for example c:\site1_directory and site 2 in c:\site2_directory. that is the whole reason virtual host exists, so you can host multiple domain names each with their own root folder and website files, using one version of apache.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Cellular Phone Deals - The Best on the Net! - FREE PHONES! Take your pick from our featured cellular phone deals by Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Nextel, and more! Most of our cellular phone offers include a FREE cellular phone with FREE shipping!

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory
Powerful human edited web directory of quality, spam-free sites organized via a comprehensive category structure.

Date: August 04, 2007 10:59PM

I am using one version of Apache, and I do have it set up to host multiple domains each with their own root folder and website files... so why then, will it not just go to the root folder that is assigned for that domain name? instead of taking me to the "www" root folder that I originally picked during the installation of WAMP5?

I'm not trying to upset anyone here if I am, I jus don't quite understand why after setting it exactly as shown in your WAMP User Manual, it won't work.

Date: August 04, 2007 11:21PM

As already mentioned, you're MISSING some points; for example:

Files and contents are in D:/Mainsite/JLBN and access as:

[www.jlbn.net]

Files and contents are in E:/Testsites/Test and access as:

[test.jlbn.net]

Files and contents are in W:/Downloads/JLBN and access as:

[downlads.jlbn.net]

As seen, all three sites are setup in different locations, and even drive W is an external drive, but if setup correctly, each site will go to its setup folder appropriately, and you don't have to own a domain to have it that way, but you can setup locally, too. And as seen, it's not just 1 or 2 lines can tell you everything here and I've already mentioned that it's in progress on my sites. Just my 2-cent

Have fun,

Posted by: iblastoff (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: August 05, 2007 07:01AM

multiple domains on one wamp install work fine for me.

maybe you should actually post what you're putting in the vhosts file?

Posted by: TwistedChaos (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2007 05:49AM

he might need to uncomment the Include vhost stuff or even uncomment thwe lines to allow vhosts....

just a thought... hope you get it working

A Massive Heart Attack = Computer Crash sad smiley

I am a member of CAF -> Computer Addicts Forever smiling smiley

Date: August 20, 2007 12:43PM

read the virtual host section of my manual. link to manual is in my sig.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

I have WAMP5 working with (for development use only):
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (64 bit)
Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 7.0.x
Spyware Terminater 2.x
CounterSpy 2.5.x

Clarify Loans

LaxGo Web Directory

Posted by: TwistedChaos (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2007 03:17AM

you know stuff like this will be a thing of the past once my mod is finished for virtual hosting... its taking a little while because i decided to rewrite the entire thing as an application instead of a script.....

:-D more feature for you..... yay ....

A Massive Heart Attack = Computer Crash sad smiley

I am a member of CAF -> Computer Addicts Forever smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.