wampserver (various versions) not working with jar files.
Posted by: mirthen (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2007 12:56AM

ok, myself and another person i found on another forum have been working on trying to get java applets using jar files working. after a ton of troubleshooting we know its some issue with wampserver either on its own, or in some xp enviroment.

we have tried multiple versions of WAMP5 from 1.6.6 and up to current. we have tried installed in various root folders. added the mime type of course. all of which the applet would mess up and not load properly.

the ways it did work....
1) other apache installs, just plain apache. using both 2.0.x and 2.2.x... works fine in any case.
2) other WAMP installers, such as e-novative wamp, works fine in any case.
3) tried WAMP5 on other xp installs, works fine in some cases
4) windows xp reinstall, works fine in some cases.
5) moved WAMP5 folder to another machine running XP, changed paths, works fine in some cases
6) various other installers and enviroments, works when not dealing with wamp5.

so we know its something dealing with wamp5, or wamp5 and some windows thing. either case we know it involves wamp5.

i have tried changing some things, for example the service name, changing all occurances of it in the config, and installer batch file. did a diff on the conf file with a conf from a standard apache install of the same version. only real differences were the paths.

in most cases basic defaults were using in all configs, changing only the webroot paths and other basic things. the applet will load in any version of apache from the older 1.x series, and the newer 2.x series.

we are fresh outta ideas here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wampserver (various versions) not working with jar files.
Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 12, 2007 02:48AM

There is nothing wrong w/ wamp but in your whole post, I don't see you mention anything about Tomcat which you need to install in order to run Java files

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net]

Date: July 12, 2007 05:32AM

If i need to install Tomcat then why does it work 100% without flaw on the same computer with a BARE apache 2.2.4 install and a apache 2.0.59 install. it also works with a plain e-novative WAMP install, which does not include Tomcat, and uses apache 1.3.37.

It worked completely fine with all of those, yet with any version of WAMP5 i install(After uninstalling those others of course) it no longer works. everything else works fine, just not the java applets. There was no modification to the java, jar file, or the html file it was loaded from. only thing that changed was the server serving it.

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 12, 2007 05:58AM

Not sure if I've fully got what you meant and don't get me wrong, I have nothing to do w/ wamp, just a wamp user like you, but as far as I know, if you want to host to run JSP files on your server, you need Tomcat, but if you only run Java Applet, you need to edit your computer setup; there is nothing to do w/ wamp as I have no problem w/ Java Applets, JSP and ASP.net files on my server.

Have fun,

[www.jlbn.net]

Date: July 12, 2007 06:07AM

like i said, it has worked in some cases with WAMP5, like in a case of moving the wamp5 install to another xp machine it worked. there have been cases where we would install it on the machine and it would work, even though it was not working before hand.

i am not the only person who has had this problem with WAMP5, but aparently it is a rather isolated thing. which leads me to believe it is something in windows xp that is interfereing with WAMP5. but like ive said it also would not work with a fresh xp install with wamp5 installed, but then it would work with other apache installs on that same xp install.

oh and this is only dealing with java applets run from .jar files. not jsp

it working in wamp seems to be almost random really. ive tried just about every configuration i could think of, or find via google. at this point i likely would use the other wamp's out there, but any ive tried i get all sorts of php errors with a few of the scripts i run. i really like wamp5 and dont want to stop using it just because of this one hiccup sad smiley

Posted by: roms (---.w193-251.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: July 12, 2007 02:54PM

Hi,

well I d'ont really see from where the problem could come. When I build WAMP5, I use official PHP and Apache releases, I d'ont recompile them so it can't come from there.

So two possibilities :

- first, it could come from the apache configuration, something in there :
<Directory "C:/wamptest/www">

#
# Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
# or any combination of:
# Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI MultiViews
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
# The Options directive is both complicated and important. Please see
# [httpd.apache.org]
# for more information.
#
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

#
# AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.
# It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
# Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#
AllowOverride all

#
# Controls who can get stuff from this server.
#
# onlineoffline tag - don't remove
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1

</Directory>

But I don't see what?

Other possibility would be the apache service since its name is the only difference with an official Apache install. So try to stop the wampapache service and just double-click on httpd.exe to lauch it without the service. Make a test on your .jar file and tell me what happens.

Romain

Posted by: mirthen (71.61.7.---)
Date: August 20, 2007 07:40PM

well, after a long time of just giving up on it. i installed a fresh copy of XP on another computer. after installing XP i installed a copy of firefox, tightvnc, and then WAMP5. the jars loaded perfectly. after that the computer just idled serving up the website. then i installed winrar and netlimiter. during that time there was 1 reboot. after all that the jars stopped working. i unstalled winrar since it has hooks for jar files in windows. still nothing, uninstalled netlimiter.... it works.

now i also have netlimiter on the other computer i had WAMP5 issues with jar files. though i dont know what the issue is still, since i could get these jars working with latest apache2 straight from the source. plus it worked with a that other wamp installation, which uses apache 1 series.

so the problem is solved for now, some form of issue with wamp5 and netlimiter used together. guess netlimiter is messing with the file in transit or something...shrug

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.