cant get to domain from lan
Posted by: markh (---.233.43.202.tsn.cc)
Date: August 18, 2006 03:46PM

Hi all....need some help please.
I have installed wamp on one of my local machines & am using a dynamic dsl setup to host my domain. I have just done this within the last 48hrs & the dns is working ok as i got to the site via my pc at work.
As i said i am able to reach domain from my work pc on internet but i cant get to the site by any of the machines on my lan.
I tried to install a "special" mass-bloging progy & all went well & it appeared to do everything ok & did create the tables in a database but now i get a cant connect to host message. I have only done this install & i cant check whether i have got access via the internet cause it is now the weekend [no work pc].
Any help woul be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cant get to domain from lan
Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 19, 2006 01:46AM

Any router and firewall? If windows firewall, disable it. If 3-party firewall (i.e Norton, McAfee), enable port 80 and also port 80 portforward in router.

Posted by: markh (---.233.43.202.tsn.cc)
Date: August 19, 2006 06:59AM

Hi,
Thanks for reply....Windows firewall already off & i have already setup port forward in router for webserver address. I did change port access on router to secure it because when i accessed the site from it left access to the router config open.

should i port forward the other machines on lan to port 80 & leave router config access on different port?
Any suggestions re application install issue?

I did a complete re format this am of machine & i have just re-setup wamp and still the same result re access to domain from lan. [about to try port fwd other pcs]
The app install is more important than access issue at moment so any help would be great!
Thanks.

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 19, 2006 06:21PM

what do you mean "left access to the router config open"? To config router, you have to provide properly username and password, right? For example, can you see my router through this page:

[test.jlbn.com]

Also, remember to enable port 80 if using 3-party firewall (i.e Norton, McAfee).

Hope this help.

Posted by: Ahimoth (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2006 04:05AM

You won't be able to access the site via domain name from w/in your network. You'll have to find the ip of your webhost machine and access it via browser using it's ip. That should help you w/out having to reformat or mess w/your router as you can hit it from outside already, just not from w/in.

Posted by: Alejandro (68.147.192.---)
Date: August 23, 2006 03:41AM

Hi Mark

you have a DNS problem.

From your internal lan try to ping your domain and see the results, what kind of configuration do you have?

you have a dhcp server on your house?, other way to doit is force the machines to see your domain by the "host" file.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.