putting server online
Posted by: chanianaus (---.mysmart.ie)
Date: August 17, 2006 03:50PM

can i have clear instructions on putting server online and accesing from other computer,
and that includes setting firewalls and all.step by step please.and what if i want to host a domain or so.
thanks in advance

spread love world wideq

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: putting server online
Posted by: Andy (---.cable.ubr11.azte.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 23, 2006 05:33AM

Hi Chanianaus,

You'll need to do some research on this one if you are intending to use WAMP for hosting sites on the internet. In a corporate LAN environment it's very different.

To host a domain (and by this I'm assuming you want someone on the web to type in a URL like www.mydomain.com and reach your computer) you need the following:

Static IP address that is public (ie available to all on the web)
DNS entries that point the domain name to your public IP address
and obviously ownership of the domain name itself for the above

If your WAMP server is your home machine connected to the internet using a normal ISP then you'll break this at stage on because your IP will most likely be on DHCP which means your IP address will change a fair bit. There are companies on the web that can handle this and a bit of googling will help you find them but they don't usually allow friendly domain names without you paying for the service.

If you're using a corporate LAN then it's a bit different and usually easier to sort out as you'll be running an intranet site rather than an internet site. For this, simply ask whoever looks after your DNS servers to assign the name you want to your WAMP server. Your users will then be able to type in this name into their browsers and see your site (assuming it's not locked down to LOCALHOST only).

Hope it helps,

Andy.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.