Seeing And Using WAMP Server
Posted by: TBotNik1 (74.194.221.---)
Date: July 26, 2023 01:00AM

All,

I installed WAMP Server on My Win 11 laptop. It showed up and i could find it in the Browser, but there are, what to me are huge problems:

1.) Once installed the Desktop Icon has to change from the "wampserver.exe" to the actual index.php web page in the browser (I use FireFox) but it is still showing the .exe file; so you cannot open WAMP just clicking the ICON. I installed it on "D:\WAMP,

2.) Bringing up Firefox in "localhost" never displays Wamp at all. Even localhost/wamp or any other attempt under localhost does not render and it absolutely must, so obviously the config in the apache and php are wrong,

3.) Searching for help on this I find absolutely nothing and everyone in the helps and HOWTOs all assume you installed in are in "C:\WAMP" or "C:\www" but anyone using the LAMP version on Linux knows any directory or drive can be used if the config is right!

Not sure what is needed here, but was attempting to add my projects directory after the install when I realized the problems.

Cheers!

TBNK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeing And Using WAMP Server
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2023 01:47AM

Well I install WAMPServer on D:/wamp64, so it is possible to install it anywhere you like.

You have obviously made some big mistakes in the install or in its usage. So if you want help please be MUCH MORE SPECIFIC about your actual problem.

You might like to start by reading ALL the sticky posts contaning lots of useful help

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2023 09:37AM

Hi,

> Searching for help on this I find absolutely nothing...
It's absolutely essential to open your eyes wide and read the instructions at the end of the Wampserver installation BEFORE clicking on Next like crazy!
Wampserver install
For some explanations on how Wampserver works
see the file: wamp(64)\instructions_for_use.pdf
For the use of MariaDB and MySQL
See the file : wamp(64)\mariadb_mysql.txt
Wampmanager icon works with
Left-Click and Right-Click

What's more, it never occurred to you to check out what might be in :
Clic-Droit icĂ´ne Wampmanager -> Help -> ......

> Once installed the Desktop Icon has to change from the "wampserver.exe" to the actual index.php web page in the browser
Where did you read that? In Ms. Irma's predictions?

The target of the Wampserver64 desktop icon is X:\wamp64\wampmanager.exe (X being the installation partition letter) and this never changes and has never changed since Wampserver was created.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: July 28, 2023 10:29PM

RiggsFolly.

Not sure how to answer here. Last time I used WAMP was on Win 95. Understand I'm a LAMPhead, so 1 have/run 20 Linux boxes. Now trying to get it to work on the New Win 11 laptop, for testing of PHP code.

The install, as I remember only asked for the install directory. It did not indicate if something is needed to load at startup nor anyway to restart Apache and from the errors I'm getting, i am assuming that Apache is not starting correctly. Am I wrong?

Until the default WAMP screen/page is seen in FireFox WAMP is not running. It only appeared once and have never been able to get it back and should always be in/under localhost. If not then how is it showing in the browser?

What I was trying to do is add a project folder to the D:/WAMP directory. I created it through filemanager, but since wamp soed not appear in the browser, no able to see the new directory.

Cheers!

TBNK

Date: July 29, 2023 08:47AM

Date: July 29, 2023 11:37PM

All,

OK finally got WAMP to show under localhost, but had to start WAMP manually, by clicking the ICON. It is supposed to autostart at boot and then the ICON is only supposed to call it on the browser by "localhost".

I know I can copy the current icon and modify it to call it as localhost but not sure how to get it to autostart on bootup. Never had these issues with my older version, so all help appreciated!

Cheers!

TBNK

Date: July 30, 2023 10:02AM

> It is supposed to autostart at boot
NO!
Wampserver has NEVER been launched automatically at system startup, even in version 1.2 and with Windows 95. If this was the case with your version, you did it.

If you want to set Wampserver to autostart on bootup, you do so at your own risk and without any guarantee of correct operation. It's not for nothing that this option doesn't exist in the configuration menus.
On the other hand, there is the option of launching localhost at Wampserver startup.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: TBotNik1 (173.219.12.---)
Date: August 01, 2023 02:42AM

all,

OK! Finally got WAMP to show in localhost, so going to star working on the projects I've been waiting on!

Thanks all for the help!

Much appreciated!!

Chers!

TBNK

Date: August 05, 2023 04:01PM

Hi,

A trick that seems to work correctly to launch Wampserver at Windows startup

File 'start_wampserver.bat' to put in c:\wamp64\
@echo off
ping -n 1 -w 5000 127.255.255.255 > nul
start /b c:\wamp64\wampmanager.exe
exit

Then, in the File Explorer address bar, type shell:startup
Right-click New Shortcut
and set as target: C:\wamp64\start_wampserver.bat

Of course, adapt the paths to your own Wampserver installation

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.