Updating Tray Menu has absolutely ruined my Wamp installation... How can I re-install?
Posted by: lee-supportedbusiness (51.219.206.---)
Date: August 28, 2020 02:31PM

Hi everyone, first time post here so my apologies if I've skipped rules or whatever.

I had a reasonably complex vhost set up running with about 20-30 hosts, all was running fine until I updated the tray menu to the latest version, and now I have the following issues:

1. When I switch PHP or Apache versions, Wamp goes through it's usually restart procedure but the versions on the tray menu haven't changed.
2. I've now found that I cannot access /phpmyadmin/ and returns a 404 error. I've actually found out for some reason I nee dto add the version number to access it ie /phpmyadmin4.5.2/ etc. This has never been the case.
3. Some Wordpress websites cannot run as they report undefined functions relating to DB stuff.

I tried running the Wamp installer but I cannot install that in the same directory, so as doing the 'Refresh' didn't do anything, and I cannot see how anything else could fix this, the installer told me I can't install into a directory that contains Wamp.

So I need to completely remove it, but cannot afford to lose my data. This includes www, databases and vhost config.

What should I do to ensure these are backed up, and then can be easily carried across to a clean version?

I'm so annoyed that a simple update has completely screwed this up, and there's nothing about it on this forum. This should be a warning!

Gratefeul for any help as this is business related.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Updating Tray Menu has absolutely ruined my Wamp installation... How can I re-install?
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2020 03:08PM

Hi,

See the log files and mainly the php_error.log file.

Then, completely empty all log files :
Right-Click -> Tools -> Empty logs -> Empty all log files Type Y then Enter

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Re: Updating Tray Menu has absolutely ruined my Wamp installation... How can I re-install?
Date: August 28, 2020 03:48PM

Hi, this isn't a PHP issue, why would looking in the PHP logs help?

This is a WAMP configuration issue. I suspect when I change settings, the config file isn't being written properly, which in turn then doesn't display the correct settings.

for example when i view /localhost/, I'm being told this:
Apache Version 2.4.33
PHP Version 7.3.9

But when I click on the tray icon, I'm being told this:
Apache Version 2.4.41
PHP Version 7.4.2

The tray versions never change. There is something wrong with the tray menu and the configuration of WAMP in general, it's not a PHP issue.

How can I just like, re-install the main core of the component and leave all of my data alone (like www folder, databases and vhosts file)?

Date: August 31, 2020 07:34PM

Hi, can someone please give me some ideas here? How can I uninstall WAMP and re-install, whilst keeping all of my website data and vhost configuration and re-import?

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2020 09:17PM

Hi,

> Hi, this isn't a PHP issue...

It's a nice peremptory statement without any verification.

You didn't go to php_error.log or apache_error.log and you didn't do what I recommended even just to try.

A complete re-installation requires first the backup of your local sites if they are in the Wampserver tree structure ¹ and the export of your databases as SQL files ².

¹ VirtualHost allows to have local sites anywhere outside the Wampserver tree structure

² MySQL and MariaDB can use databases located outside the data folders.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.