Posted by: Claudius (---.bardstown.com)
Date: August 09, 2020 11:39PM

Win 10 Pro, Ver. 1903 - Clean Install

WAMP 3.2.3

Apache 2.4.46
PHP 7.3.21
MySQL 8.0.21
MariaDB 10.5.4

I have a domain on DynDNS that directs web traffic to my server.

Port forwarding is configured properly in that I get the 403 permissions error page when I attempt web side access to the website that I want to host.

The server has a static IP that the router forwards inbound traffic to.

The open source social media website that I'm using, Elgg, is installed properly in that I can access the sign in page via localhost.

Now...

The question I have is can WAMP 3.2.3 be configured to allow public access. If so, then how?

I also understand that WAMP is intended to be a learning platform for people like me and is not intended to be a production webserver. I also understand that the Microsoft IIS system is available native to Win 10 Pro however, as best as I can tell the open source social media websites that I've looked at are intended to run on Apache systems and WAMP in particular. Is there a WAMP like web server system available, that does all the things that WAMP does and is intended to be a production web server?

Last question, I have a book that I have bought and read, "Linux Apache Web Server Administration" by Charles Aulds that I have attempted to use as a reference in configuring WAMP for public access. Best as I can tell, the WAMP version of Apache has been modified to the point that this reference book is not of much use. For example the book makes no mention of httpd-vhosts.conf. Can you recommend for me a textbook or reference that would guide me in installing and configuring the component software packages that I would need in order to run a webpage on a Windows system using Linux Apache software components, if that is possible.

Thank you very much for your kind consideration in this matter...

Best regards

My existing httpd-vhosts.conf file.

# Virtual Hosts
#
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
DocumentRoot "${INSTALL_DIR}/www"
<Directory "${INSTALL_DIR}/www/">
Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
AllowOverride All
# Require all granted
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

#
ServerName redrubberball
# ServerName localhost
DocumentRoot "d:/wamp64/www/redrubberball"
<Directory "d:/wamp64/www/redrubberball/">
AllowOverride All
Require all granted
# Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 11:41PM by Claudius.

Options: ReplyQuote
Permission
Date: August 04, 2020 02:58AM

Hello everyone, it's been years!

I'm running Win 10 Pro Version 1909 64 bit, clean install.

I'm running the WAMP 64 bit version. All of the runtime libraries installed without issue and the WAMP icon in the system tray is green.

Apache 2.4.41.

PHP 7.3.12.

MariaDB 8.0.18

I followed the bouncing ball through the WAMP installation, WAMP installed without issue.

I ran the, "check state of services" tool and the tool returned no issues.

I have the DynDNS updater installed and running without issue, Ports 80 and 443 forwarded to the server.

I can connect to the website from the local server maching but not from the web.

Every, everything is running perfectly except that I get :

"You don't have permission to access this resource" when I attempt to connect to the Elgg open source social media website.

I've been working this problem for three days now. I read about modifying one of the PHP ".ini" files but then I also read that this modified file makes the system vulnerable to a web side attack.

So, in regards to accessing this website and the associated permission, what did I miss? What do I have to do in order access this website from the web side?

Something else I've read about, that WAMP is intended as a development tool and not intended to be a production server. I get that now. Is there a WAMP like package intended to run on a windows server?

Thank you all in advance for helping me out with issue.

Best regards...

Re: Permission
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2020 11:56AM

Hi,

To connect from the internet via a DYNDNS, you need a Virtual Server setup in httpd-vhosts.conf that matches the domai name that you picked from DYNDNS.

If you dont now how to set this up, show your httpd-vhosts.conf and tell us the DYNDNS domain name and I will suggest a VHOST setup

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: August 04, 2020 12:51PM

The content of httpd-vhosts.conf is as follows:

# Virtual Hosts
#
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

#
ServerName redrubberball
DocumentRoot "f:/wamp64/www/redrubberball"
<Directory "f:/wamp64/www/redrubberball/">
AllowOverride All
Require all granted
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

And the DynDNS address that I use, "is dominion.dyndns-home.com/redrubberball."

Thank you so very much for your assistance in this matter. I'm looking forward to being able to tinker around with this social media package from my chair.

Best regards...

Date: August 05, 2020 02:36AM

Hi

dominion.dyndns-home.com does not exist when I ping it?

Domains do not have a subfolder in their names

If all you want to do is see your site from another device in your home/office network you dont need a DYNDNS domain anyway.

Is that what you want to do? See the site running on on device in your network on another device on your network?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: August 05, 2020 12:24PM

OK,

You caught me.

The actual domain name is "connections.dyndns-home.com/redrubberball." I wasn't wanting to publish the actual domain name. My intent is to set up a website on the cheap, dark web and all that and specifically for the use of the family in communicating events and photos and the like. I apologize for the confusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 12:25PM by Claudius.

Date: August 05, 2020 01:01PM

Again ... the domain name is `connections.dyndns-home.com` Domain names do not have `/something` in them ever.

Assuming you have not attempted to mess with the default port 80

ServerName connections.dyndns-home.com
    ServerAlias www.connections.dyndns-home.com
    DocumentRoot "${INSTALL_DIR}/www/redrubberball"
    <Directory "${INSTALL_DIR}/www//redrubberball/">
        AllowOverride All
        Require local
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

You have to create a virtual host with a ServerName that matches what the incoming connection is calling it. Apache then say do I have a VH that matches that, if YES then server from the DocumentRoot folder. If NOT then server from the first VH in the list of VH's. So if you get the WAMPServer homepage served, you did something wrong. pop back ans we will see whats wrong.

To get the secure version working you will have to do the similiar thing but make your amendments as per this document One version or here is another take from me

Date: August 05, 2020 03:48PM

OK, I got all that. I'll start with the experimenting and see what happens. And you did anticipate my next question concerning SSL.

But anyway, thanks for the help, I appreciate your time.

Date: August 09, 2020 12:49AM

The modification to the httpd-vhosts.conf file resulted in a variety of "403 Forbidden" and permissions faults. I get the permissions fault when I try to access the Wampserver forum page via the system tray icon. The following is the edition of httpd-vhosts.conf that I'm running at present:

# Virtual Hosts
#
  <Directory "${INSTALL_DIR}/www//redrubberball">
    AllowOverride All
    Require local
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

#
	ServerName redrubberball
	DocumentRoot "d:/wamp64/www/redrubberball"
	<Directory  "d:/wamp64/www/redrubberball/">
		AllowOverride All
		Require local
	</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

I bought a book, "Linux Apache Web Server Administration" that I have been trying to use as a reference. There's a lot to all this, I understand. The book I bought and wamp64 have commonalities but httpd-vhosts.conf isnt one of them.

If you have any suggestions though I would be happy to hear.

Thank You and best regards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 11:48AM by RiggsFolly.

Date: August 09, 2020 11:53AM

I get the permissions fault when I try to access the Wampserver forum page via the system tray icon

Thats because you have replaced the localhost Virtual Host, so localhost no longer exists.

Add this back into your httpd-vhosts.conf file

ServerName localhost
  ServerAlias localhost
    AllowOverride All
    Require local
  </Directory>
  #ErrorDocument 404 /missing.html
</VirtualHost>

Date: August 10, 2020 10:12PM

Here is the latest iteration of hpptd-vhosts.conf. I'm still getting the 403 Forbidden error.

# Virtual Hosts
#
  ServerName localhost
  ServerAlias localhost
    AllowOverride All
#   Require all granted
    Require local
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

AllowOverride All
        Require local
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

#
#<VirtualHost *:80>
#	ServerName redrubberball
#	DocumentRoot "d:/wamp64/www/redrubberball"
#	<Directory  "d:/wamp64/www/redrubberball/">
#		Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
#		AllowOverride All
#		Require local
#	</Directory>
#</VirtualHost>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2020 01:04PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: August 11, 2020 01:08PM

Hi

Try removing this line `ServerAlias www.connections.dyndns-home.com`

If you ping `connections.dyndns-home.com` you get a reply, it exists
If you ping `www.connections.dyndns-home.com` you will get a host does not exist message

Also you will need to change `Require local` to `Require all granted` to allow access to this site from ip addresses other then the one running WAMPServer, BUT ONLY THIS SITE, do not do that for localhost.

Also, cant remember if we covered this before, yo will need to port forward your router.

Re: Public Access to WAMP 3.2.3
Date: August 11, 2020 05:47PM

Yes, I have 80 and 443 forwarded to the server. The server has a static IP.

Thank you so very much for your patience and attention.

Best regards...

Date: August 11, 2020 06:18PM

So is this working now?

Date: August 11, 2020 09:41PM

No, but the situation has changed.

I get full access from the server machine using the web address and I get the permission error from any other machine.

# Virtual Hosts
#
  ServerName localhost
  ServerAlias localhost
    AllowOverride All
#   Require all granted
    Require local
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

#   ServerAlias www.connections.dyndns-home.com
#       AllowOverride All
#       Allow from all
        Require all Granted
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2020 01:19PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: August 12, 2020 01:24PM

Hi,

Good new (ish) I can see your Red Rubber Ball site. The styling seems broken, but I can definitely access the site

Date: August 12, 2020 10:17PM

I can't post a screen shot to show you the difference between the screen I get when I use the "connections.dyndns-home.com" address on the server machine and any other client machine. The server machine gives me the intended media site sign in page. Any other client machine gives me this left justified, simple text page with a bunch of blue text hyperlinks that don't seem to work.

I get the same simple text screen on the client computer with the firewall off on the server machine and again with the firewall on.

Sorry, I had to reboot the server a couple times to test the integrity of the DynDNS updater on the server. The DynDNS updater appears to be working correctly in that rebooting the server and enabling WAMP64 without the updater running, the client machine can't find the server machine at all. With the DynDNS updater the client machine can find the server but I get the left justified, simple text page.

I'm not using a firewall on my router at present for the duration of this webpage adventure.

So what aspect of the WAMP64 stack would cause the server to serve the left justified, simple text page?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2020 10:30PM by Claudius.

Date: August 13, 2020 01:10PM

I see that same page that you describe.

That is caused by incorrect urls in code like <link> and <script> and <style>

Looks like you have `localhost` hard coded into some of the resouce collection tags. Of course that works when you run the stuff on the machine with the resources on, because thats localhost. But when someone on another machine has a resource declared to be on localhost the browser looks on My machine and does not find it.

Could well be that you installed this site into `localhost/redrubberball` rtaher than creating the Vhost first and installing into `connections.dyndns-home.com`

Date: August 16, 2020 10:25PM

Well...

I think I've been all over the world on this one. I've tried XAMPP and Tomcat and I can't establish public access on any platform. How can this be do you think? I know that I am in contact with the website because I get details specific to the website with a tag that I don't have permission to access the website.

Date: August 17, 2020 03:01PM

When I go to your site I now get a directed to a login page.

There are obvious errors, but none of them specific to WAMPServer.

The page thet I see when I enter connections.dyndns-home.com

The message saying you do not have access is an application message. That is the reason you were, I mean I was, thrown into the login page.

Of course the CSS is a real mess but that is probably due to installing this package into localhost rather than the Virtual Host.

I note that if you click on `Home` link, that has a reference to `localhost` and therefore goes NOWHERE on any other PC but yours.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.