Using Wamp 1.5.0 to run a publicly accessible website with a dynamic IP.
Posted by: SopieMunky (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 03:27AM

Okay, I've actually searched the forums a bit for this, and I see this question asked a lot, but not fully answered.

How would I go about setting Wamp v1.5.0 up to run a website that anyone can access (both on and off of my network, as well) from any computer in the world on the internet? In other words, how can I host a website that anyone can access (much like www.wampserver.com) from MY computer, alone?

I used to have my website set up with a different PC, but I felt it was time to switch it over to this PC, because it is the most up to date and it's 10 times faster. I started having a lot of problems with it staying up on my other PC, so I decided it was time to start from scratch on a different PC in hopes of never having these problems anymore.

Anything with a "-" before it is just to let you know it's something that's related to MY computer in the sense that it is what I have set up at the moment...

-I have a dynamic IP address.

-My internet is connected via a router.

-I want to do this through port 81 instead of the standard port 80. I think my ISP might have some restrictions on port 80.

-I own a DNS name with [www.dyndns.org] (EX: [mywebsite.dyndns.org]).

-I own a domain (EX: [www.mywebsite.com]) name for my website that already points to this dyndns address. This part is already set up, because I used to run my website on a separate computer with this address WORKING.

-I have Wamp v1.5.0 (Apache v1.3.x, PHP v5.1.1, MySQL v5.0.16, phpmyadmin v2.6.4-pl4, SQLITEmanager v1.1.3) installed on my computer.

I know I'll have to port forward port 81 for Apache. I know I'll need some type of dynamic IP updater (any suggestions?), and I know that I'll need to, obviously, put my website files in the "www" directory on Wamp v1.5.0. Also, I believe there is something I have to change in the registry to allow Apache/PHP to work. Is this true?

Okay. Now that you kind of know my situation, are there any solutions/tutorials on how to this?

Any helpful suggestions, even if it's just to answer one question of that plethora of questions, would be appreciated. :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using Wamp 1.5.0 to run a publicly accessible website with a dynamic IP.
Date: February 20, 2006 05:36AM

Actually, upon reflection, I think I WILL try and use port 80.

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 09:08AM

use a dynamic IP DNS service like www.everydns.com

Date: February 20, 2006 08:16PM

Actually, I've already signed up for DynDNS Updater on this PC because it is recommended in conjunction with www.dyndns.org.

Now, what would I type in the config to get it to read my dyndns.org name?

Posted by: Robert (---.pbn.com.au)
Date: February 21, 2006 05:52AM

My answer...Dont make it publicly accessible.

Dont host websites from home.
You will be REALLY DISSAPOINTED in the results.

Home network connections will not perform.

People will wait two minutes to connect to your sites.

Date: February 21, 2006 06:26AM

I'm starting to think the same thing...

So, do you know of any good, CHEAP, web hosts? I don't have much cash, but I am willing to pay a reasonable price so long as they provide PHP support. I plan to have a phpbb forum and a php gallery on my website. Also, what exactly does MySQL do?

And, if possible, I'd like to see a host that provides services through an annual fee rather than a monthly fee. But I'll gladly pay a monthly fee if it's better.

Or heck, if there is something FREE I will bow down to you. :-D

Posted by: Robert (---.eburwd3.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 21, 2006 01:05PM

Hi SopieMunky.

Email me and I'll help you out
robert@revolutionhosting.net

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.