[solved] Can I install 32bit and 64bit on same computer?
Posted by: SimonT (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2016 11:10PM

I'd like to have both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of WAMP installed on my system.

I searched and found this post: [forum.wampserver.com]

If I read it correctly, I can install both, into separate directories, and run one or the other by themselves - not both at the same time. I understand they can not be run at the same time because of the very nature of the packages.

That posts talks about using the menu to start/stop/restart services to switch between them.

Does that mean that I can start one of them (that is, have Windows start the program), stop all services, and then start the other version? To switch, I'd stop the active services and start the services on the other WAMP version.

Is that correct? Would there be two icons in the system tray - one for the 32bit version and one for 64bit version? If so, you'd have to use About... in the right click menu to keep things straight.

Would it be "safer" to switch between them by simply right clicking the active icon, select exit, and then start up the other version?

I can't envision wanting to quickly switch back and fourth.

I would think I can point the virtual hosts (one on the 32bit and one on the 64 bit versions) to the same path - correct?

However, I'd have to duplicate the databases (one for the 32 bit and one for the 64 bit versions) - is that correct? I'd do so using import/export with phpMyAdmin - right?

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 12:15AM by SimonT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I install 32bit and 64bit on same computer?
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2016 10:51AM

Hi,

You are right for all things.

You cannot use the same datadir for MySQL 32 and 64 bit. I had tried to do, but it has caused problems in my tables, primarily InnoDB ..

> Would there be two icons in the system tray - one for the 32bit version and one for 64bit version?
The two icons in the system tray, I'm not there yet, but both Wampserver 32 and 64 bits at the same time, it is possible if, for example for 64-bit:
- Change Apache port to 8080 (With tools menu)
- Change MySQL port to 3307 (With tools menu)
There is only one icon in the systray (The first Wampserver launched) and if you have the same VirtualHosts (But one with port 8080) in the browser you can switch versions 32 to 64 by add 8080 in the url:
- 'http://localhost/' is for 32 bit version
- 'http://localhost:8080/' is for the 64 version
It's wobbly as a solution, but it works, except that in leaving Wampserver by the icon, the two 64-bit services will not be arrested.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Re: Can I install 32bit and 64bit on same computer?
Posted by: SimonT (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2016 12:14AM

Thanks.

I will run one version, shut it down and start the other. I won't even try having them running at the same time so I won't need to make any port or other changes. Seems the simplest way to do it.

As far as MySQL - I'll make duplicates of my databases and I'l use export and import to sync them, as needed.

Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.