WAMP Update to 3.0.4 from 2.5
Posted by: jkoelker01 (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 06, 2016 06:12PM

Hello, this would be my first question and I am very new to this. We had a vendor install Wampserver 2.5 onto a windows 2008 r2 server and then install wordpress for our site. I am wanting to upgrade our Wamp version to 3.0.4 to get newer versions of Apache, PHP, and MySQL. I am looking for some guidance.

I've read the Instructions on this site "Installing a new release of WAMPServer". It talks about upgrading from a 2.x version to 2.5 and it mentions that you need to remove the Apache and MySQL services before doing the install. It also mentions making a copy of your WampServer install that you have currently. In this post it says you don't have to remove the PHP service as it doesn't get updated. My problem is when looking at the versions for 3.0.4 it definitely is getting a new version. Do I need to then remove the PHP service or leave it alone?

Also I see the 3.0.3 update was able to just get installed over 2.5 without removing anything first. I'm assuming I still need to remove services and rename the current Wamp directory to do the 3.0.4 though.

I've looked through the Troubleshooting Tips as well but don't see anything mentioned about these questions for 3.0.4.

I appreciate any help in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP Update to 3.0.4 from 2.5
Date: April 06, 2016 06:27PM

Windows Version 2008 R2
WampServer Version currently 2.5 32-bit
Apache Version - 2.4.9
PHP Version - 5.5.12
MySQL version - 5.6.17
WampServer icon is green and everything is functional as is. Just looking to upgrade for later versions with security updates applied.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2016 06:43PM

Hi,

> Also I see the 3.0.3 update was able to just get installed over 2.5 without removing anything first.
> I'm assuming I still need to remove services and rename the current Wamp directory to do the 3.0.4 though.
No.
Only quit Wampserver 2.5 in order to stop services.

Do not rename the folder, especially not, if you do the update 2.5 -> 3.0.3 on a bad installation folder, Wampserver no longer work.

The update 2.5 -> 3.03 add new features and new version of Apache, PHP, MySQL and phpMyAdmin, but does not change the versions you are using. If before the update you use Apache 2.4.9, PHP 5.5.12 and MySQL 5.6.17 ; after the update, it will always be those versions that will be used (without any modification) when you restart Wampserver.

Despite all the tests that were performed with this update, no one is immune to a mistake and I advise you to:
- Save your databases by export in a SQL file
(The only reliable and durable method of transferring databases is export / import with SQL files)
- Save your local sites; if they are in the folder wamp / www /, the easiest way is to back up the entire folder wamp /. In this way, in case of problems, a simple copy of the whole saved files to its original location will only require the creation of services for Wampserver is again operational.
Note: This is the kind of operations I've done dozens and dozens of times.

Before starting the update 2.5 -> 3.0.3 (As an administrator) it is essential to perform the prerequisite is to say, the point No. 20 of TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS.

My native language is French and it may be that I poorly explained in English. If you have a question or need more information before applying the update, please write it here.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2016 06:46PM by Otomatic.

Date: April 06, 2016 07:01PM

Thanks for responding back so quickly.

So then how do I proceed to do the jump from 2.5 to 3.0.4. I see that it is out there so I'd most likely bypass 3.0.3 unless getting to that 3.0.3 makes it easier to get 3.0.4.

If I go to 3.0.4 from 2.5 I believe I have to remove the apache and mysql services. Do I have to remove the php service as well or not? It doesn't indicate it but I see 3.0.4 has new versions of everything so I am just wondering if I needed too or not.

Do I have to make a copy of my current Wamp install directory and then rename it to something and install WampServer 3.0.4 as new and finally merge in my sites? Thanks for the quick response. I really appreciate it.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2016 07:27PM

Hi,

Sometimes I wonder why we bother producing any documentation at all !!!!!!!!!!!!

In this STICKY Document CRYPTICALLY called - WAMPServer 3 All you need to know you should see this section :

Wampserver 2.5 users can apply the update to Wampserver 3.0.3 directly. There will be no change to the Apache, PHP, MySQL settings and versions used; your local sites and databases will not be affected. You will have Wampserver 3.0.3 and all the addons available. In addition this will install Apache 2.4.18, PHP 5.6.18 and 7.0.3, MySQL 5.6.29 and PhpMyAdmin 4.5.4.1. But will not activate them!

Then all your have to do is install the WAMPServer 3.0.4 ADDON, to get to the latest greatest version of WAMPServer

Can I suggest you read the COMPLETE Document, just so Otomatic and I dont feel like we are wasting our time completely.

You dont have to remove anything, IT ALL DONE FOR YOU and your current versions of Apache / MYSQL / PHP will not be effected, and they will STILL be the currently activated versions of Apache / MYSQL / PHP.

In order to use the newer versions you have to actively request the version chnages using the WAMPManager menus system

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2016 07:31PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: April 06, 2016 09:01PM

RiggsFolly,

I appreciate your getting back to me.

Just so you know, I did read the whole document. The Post "WAMPServer 3 All you need to know", with the various updates, is a little difficult to read as some updates are simply inserted in the middle and not the end. Based on reading the other Sticky "Installing a NEW release of WAMPServer" it acts as if I would need rename the current WAMP directory so I could install a new one with 3.0.4 full install. If this doesn't apply to updates then I wasn't aware because it didn't say so.

I apologize for not fully understanding everything, but I did not setup the environment initially so I'm just making sure all is done correctly. This is a great product from what I can tell and I appreciate the forum and quick responses.

Date: April 06, 2016 09:33PM

Yes I see your problem.

The "Installing a NEW release of WAMPServer" was written PRE WAMPServer 3. I will amend this to make that clear.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 07, 2016 11:40PM

Hello, so I successfully did the upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0.4. I left my apache, mysql, and php versions alone after the upgrade and currently my wordpress site is completely unreachable. I'm not sure if something has to be reconnected to let wamp know of the wordpress site? My database is still intact within the phpmyadmin site. I can see all of my links/users, etc.... The Wampserver icon is green. When accessing Localhost it gets to the WampServer page without any issues. Prior to the upgrade I could simply type in the IP address of my server to reach the only wordpress site I have on the server but now that simply takes me to the Wampserver page. I've noticed the index.php file within the wamp installation and in the www folder gets modified heavily with the new version and wipes out my wordpress settings. I've attempted to copy in my wordpress settings to that file that tell it to load the theme but it doesn't work. This is a virtual server so I can quickly restore to a snapshot but I've attempted this 4 times now with the same result each time.

I have the VC9, 10, 11, 13 and 14 installs all completed for both x86 and x64. I'm doing the initial install from 2.5 to 3.0.3 and then from there to 3.0.4. The site is already broken when going to 3.0.3.

Any thoughts as to what might need to be checked/done to correct the site after the upgrade. From what I've read, as long as I don't change my versions of Apache, PHP, and MySQL the sites should still run without any intervention.

Date: April 08, 2016 12:59AM

Just to check something.

Did you put your WP site into the \wamp\www directory?

Date: April 08, 2016 03:56PM

Yes, our site is in the wamp\www\ directory. It's a fully functional WP site on WampServer 2.5. Do Virtual Hosts have to be setup for this to work in the new version. I didn't set it up that way after the upgrade because the documentation indicates that as long as we don't change our versions of Apache, PHP, and MySQL the site should continue to operate fine. Let me know. Again, I do appreciate the help.

Date: April 08, 2016 04:02PM

Right, so the Install has probably overwritten the WP index.php with the WAMPServer index.php

You really should not put anything in the \wamp\www folder as that belongs to WAMPServer.

This is why we suggest using Virtual Hosts and placing projects in either \wamp\www\project1 or in a completely different folder i.e C:\websites\project1\www

So if you have a backup of your WP index.php you could copy that from your backup to the \wamp\www folder and you will probably be off and running again.

But for future reference \wamp\www folder should not be used for your projects/sites

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.