How move datastore MySQL to other location
Posted by: bla229 (---.cm-12-3d.dynamic.ziggo.nl)
Date: June 02, 2014 08:47AM

Hi,

For years I change de datastore location form within the filestructure of WAMP to a other location by changing teh my.ini file, but with the current release it dos not work. After changing and restarting the service I still get the default databases and tables. What has changed? I use de 64-bit windows version.

Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How move datastore MySQL to other location
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: June 02, 2014 09:54AM

Do you have more than one version of MySQL installed in wamp?
-- If so are you sure you have changed the right my.ini file.

Have you copied a my.ini file into the C:\windows folder structure?
-- If so delete it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: bla229 (---.cm-12-4d.dynamic.ziggo.nl)
Date: June 02, 2014 11:05PM

Hi,

NO, it is a complete reinstall of my laptop with a clean W8pro 64 bit install. I have looked in C:\windows, but there is no my.ini.

Rob

Date: June 03, 2014 10:43AM

Ok lets do a quick check.

Launch the MySQL Console

wampmanager -> MySQL -> MySQL console

Enter your password or if you have no password on root just hit the enter key on the password request.

The enter this command at the mysql> prompt

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'data%';

This should show whatever mysql believes is the location of your database folder.

Does this show you your correct folder or the default location on the wamp folder structure?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: June 04, 2014 10:04PM

Hi,

I have run the query, and the result is:
D:\20 - Webserver\Programma\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.17\data\

When I look in the my.ini I see:
datadir=D:/20 - Webserver/Data/MySQL/

For now I have put my data in the default dir, but I don't want de data there. Is there some other place where the data location could be enterd.

Rob

Date: June 04, 2014 11:07PM

Try using directories without spaces in the name or try

datadir="D:/20 - Webserver/Data/MySQL/"

Date: June 05, 2014 07:27PM

Hi,

I tried both, and both suggestions won't work for me. Is this maybe a typical problem with Windows 8, or is this something for this release. I haven’t had this problem before.

Rob

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2014 07:50PM

Hi,

I'll try to explain why you can not use datadir with MySQL 5.6.17, but my birth language is French, I hope you understand my explanation.

This is because datadir does not separate the internal MySQL databases from your own databases and if your original datadir comes from MySQL 5.5.x, mysql and performance_schema from MySQL 5.5.x are not compatibles with MySQL 5.6.x

You can overcome this problem in the following way, as I do myself with the use of three different versions of MySQL: 5.5.38, 5.6.19 and 5.7.4

You leave datadir pointing to the default folder (wamp/bin/mysl/mysql5.6.17/data) and in that same folder data you create junctions (symlinks but for directories) to your own databases folders.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: June 09, 2014 09:43AM

Hi Otomatc,

Yes, the previous version was a 5.5.x release. The explanation is clear. I will look into the junctions, but I haven’t used them before.

Rob

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2014 11:16AM

Hi,

Create junctions "on the command line by hand" is tedious and error, which is why I propose, or rather Hermann Schinagl, Felix Kasza, Jean-Pierre Bergamin, Travis Illig, Mark Russinovich, Philip Daniels, Daniel Thibault, Masatoshi Kimura offer you a powerful tool that can create junctions without command line directly from Explorer or Total Commander: it is Link Shell Extension

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.