Your Projects links
Posted by: gyrocog (---.dynamic.stcable.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 03:43AM

Hey guys,

Just started using WAMP for the first time (don't know why I haven't discovered it much sooner, it's a godsend), and I'm finding something interesting. I'm not sure if it's a bug, or something from my end, but I'm hoping someone could shed some light on the issue. It's nothing major, but someone might find it annoying - unless I'm the only one experiencing this, in which case I'm hoping someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

So, I have a little Joomla 3 installation in a subfolder I made inside the www folder, so the path looks like this: wamp\www\soundmute (it's a project name).

I haven't replaced any of WAMP's files inside the www folder, since I think the page has some very useful information.

Anyway, I'm finding that the links to my project isn't working. It's missing localhost/ at the beginning, like in this image:

For everything else (phpinfo, myphpadmin, etc), it's working as it should. But the link on the project (soundmute in the picture) leads to "soundmute", instead of "localhost/soundmute".
The link from the tray icon (inside My Projects) is also doing the same thing, and both lead to this:

If I type localhost/ in front of soundmute, then it works.

Is this a bug in WAMP or something with my settings here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your Projects links
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2014 09:19AM

Hi,

Read calmly, with great attention the excellent article of RiggsFolly entitled:
WAMPServer 2.5 The Homepage, Your Projects Menu and the need for Virtual Hosts

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: May 30, 2014 11:37AM

Hi! Thank you so much for that, it works now. I've bookmarked that post for future reference. It should be sticky or something (if it isn't already).

A quick question, though: will the vhost file be overwritten if WAMP updates?

Thanks again. Cheers!

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2014 11:59AM

Hi,

Yes. Read Installing a new release of WAMPServer
In this, there is :

NEVER INSTALL A NEW RELEASE OF WAMPServer over an existing installation

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: May 31, 2014 12:00AM

Thank you for your replies. I will keep a note of all that. I'm bookmarking all of that for future reference, until I get the hang of things.

Guess I already did a beginner's mistake for installing WAMP in Program Files (on my E drive, not C - still has spaces though). But so far it seems to be working fine. I've already found I needed to turn on rewrite_module for Joomla's SEO-friendly links to work.

Thanks again.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: May 31, 2014 01:34PM

You can install WAMPServer on any Drive you like C: D: E: but it is best to NOT have spaces in any folder name you install it into or create for your sites. Also network drives are a bit tricky so best not do that.

PS: You cannot easily move it from say C: to D:. Its best to backup then uninstall and then reinstall on another drive then copy over your sites and then restore your databases..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.