Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Apache Error
Posted by: Idkwid (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: June 18, 2014 05:07PM

Many, many thanks to Dawnforge and RiggsFolly for responding so quickly.

I'm not sure why RiggsFolly asked that I begin a new thread but I wanted to assure you guys saw this post.

It seems that the Interweb goddesses were smiling on me. I actually liked Dawnforge's reply because when I heard that MS was discontinuing support for XP I freaked out and started looking for a new machine. I heard horror stories about Win8 and found a deal at Staples for a Dell 660 with 4Gb RAM and 1TB HD running Win7 for under $500.

Anyway, with that, I'm going to install Apache 2.2 PhP and MySQL on the Win7 machine. Like I said, I'm new to server software and it's config. I've written in php for years thru a host but I've never configured it and I Don't Know What I'm Doing so while I have you, should I install Apache 2.2 VC9 or VC11. I don't know the difference. Also, are there any config settings in either Apache or PhP I should be concerned with?

Many forums said that Cox won't allow a server to run on their network. Dawnforge said her ISP is Cox. She also says (---.no.no.cox.net). What's up with that? Did you encounter any problems with Cox?

I also noticed that when I ran tests after installing Apache2.2 and PHP5 that I could only run php files placed in the htdocs folder. Is there a config setting to change so I can run php files from any folder? I always partition my machines so my OS runs on C: and all data is stored on and runs from D:

Thanks for your input and help. Cheers!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: June 18, 2014 05:30PM

It does not sound ike you are installing WAMPServer it sounds like you are installing Apache and PHP seperately.

If you are running out of htdocs then you definitely didnt install WAMPServer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: June 18, 2014 05:47PM

You are correct. I didn't install WAMPServer. I haven't installed anything on the machine running Win7. I did download and install Apache2.2 and PhP from an Apache mirror site and installed them the XP machine.

Can you tell me the differences or advantages of installing WAMPServer rather than the versions I had downloaded?

Thank you

Date: June 18, 2014 06:07PM

RiggsFolly,

I've read the installation and Functionalities outline of WAMPServer and it all seems very straight forward.

I'm a novice concerning Server software and I'm somewhat apprehensive (I have lots of stupid questions like this one).

My systems is 64 bit. Should I be installing the 64 bit version of the software?

Thanks

Date: June 18, 2014 11:31PM

No I would install the 32bit WAMPServer. You loose nothing and you gain access to all sorts of PHP extensions that have yet to be converted to 64bit.

64bit PHP is not completeley 64bit'ized yet anyway and is flagged on there own site as 'Experimental' anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: June 19, 2014 04:39PM

RiggsFolly,

Thanks. I took a lot of time yesterday going thru the Forum, especially the post about the changes to be made after installing WAMPServer. A bit concerning since I'm a novice and feel like a blind man walking thru a mine field.

I initially wrote because I did a search and found DawnForge's post about using Apache with the same ISP (cox) that I have. I wondered if that was the reason for all her problems. I believe she started that once she abandoned Win XP and ran the software under Win 7 all her problems resolved.

There was also a section on the two of you getting together under TeamViewer to see if you could troubleshoot her problems. Was that done?

I was hoping she'd see my post and respond. Going in circles, wasting time and not getting anywhere is frustrating and I need to know if what I'm trying to accomplish is possible or I need to go another way

Thanks

Date: June 19, 2014 07:41PM

If you are asking for us to get together on a TeamViewer session thats ok, but first you have to have an actual issue. I am not fixing a non WampServer sinatll of Apache and PHP.

I cannot do it tonight as I am off to watch the England Match with some friends.

Try sending me a PM tomorrow with your Teamiewer ID and PASSWORD

I am on UK time.

Date: June 19, 2014 08:16PM

No, I would not ask that of you. I'm very appreciative of your responses. I also would not expect you to address an issue that does not concern the WAMPServer software.

I'd really like to know what the disposition of DawnForge's issue was. Was she able to get WampServer to run with Win 7 and her ISP. I would feel more comfortable installing the software and making the fixes outlined if I knew the ISP would not be an issue. If the ISP disallows a server running on their network then, no matter what I do, it won't work.

I've been researching this for days. Some results say absolutely not. Other results say the ISP is not a problem.

I'm not creating a public site. All I want to do is automate the process of pulling email addresses from my existing local DB, place them into a multipart email format and send them. The ISP has a 60 address limit per send but no limit on the number of sends. When the DB had only 5K addresses, doing the send manually only took 1or 2 hrs. Now the DB has 22K addresses and it takes too long to send them manually.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the match. Go England! Cheers!

Posted by: Dawnforge (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: June 19, 2014 10:36PM

If I remember right, they said something along the lines of my "stacks being muffed" If I had to give a rough guess its that something I installed at some point messed something up that I had no idea how to fix.

We did do a team viewer together, but he was unable to find what the cause of the issue was, rather may have been just as confused as I was.

Yes, as soon as I installed windows 7 and did all the updates, Wamp ran like a dream, no issues at all. My XP was old as sin and started to act funny after a few formats one day. It was odd ever since.

It wont be the service provided, I can tell you that for sure if you live in the US or any country with a good internet system. It could be an issue for the countries that have only one IP or so going out, as I ran into that issue before with MySQL, but if you are not in said country then that is null and void.

Posted by: Dawnforge (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: June 19, 2014 10:36PM

If I remember right, they said something along the lines of my "stacks being muffed" If I had to give a rough guess its that something I installed at some point messed something up that I had no idea how to fix.

We did do a team viewer together, but he was unable to find what the cause of the issue was, rather may have been just as confused as I was.

Yes, as soon as I installed windows 7 and did all the updates, Wamp ran like a dream, no issues at all. My XP was old as sin and started to act funny after a few formats one day. It was odd ever since.

It wont be the service provided, I can tell you that for sure if you live in the US or any country with a good internet system. It could be an issue for the countries that have only one IP or so going out, as I ran into that issue before with MySQL, but if you are not in said country then that is null and void.

Date: June 20, 2014 07:26PM

So GREAT to hear back form you. Thanks so much.

Yes, I'm in the US and my ISP is cox.

I didn't get the "stacks being muffed" reference just like I didn't get the (---.no.no.cox.net) reference but that's ok. I'm just thrilled to hear WAMPServer runs fine w/ Win 7 and cox.

Looks like my weekend just got filled but, if I have the same results as you, my current headaches should disappear.

I'll be back in touch if an issue presents itself but right here and now, I'm stoked!!

Have an excellent weekend and Many Thanks again!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.