Import error - MySQL said: #1046 - No database selected
Posted by: IrvC (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 21, 2014 04:27PM

I am trying to import the database that I exported from our live site to WAMP using phpMyAdmin. I browse for the .sql file that the export created and click GO. I tried leaving SQL compatibility mode as NONE, and also selected MYSQL40 and MYSQL323 for compatbility mode.

I am getting error #1046 - No Database Selected.

Any clues?

Irv

Windows 7
WAMP ver. 2.4 (just downloaded this week)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 04:46PM by IrvC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Import error - MySQL said: #1046 - No database selected
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 03:43PM

Look at your .sql file from your database dump. It probably does not contain a 'USE xxx;' statement.

So add a

USE databasename;

To the top of your .sql file where 'databasename' is a database you have previously created using phpmyadmin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: February 24, 2014 09:31PM

thank you for your reply.

I have a couple related questions:

1) when I first launched phpMyadmin in WAMP I was prompted for a username and password. I entered the username for my live site database, which I guess was the wrong thing to do. I can launch phpMyadmin using this username and leaving the password blank. Should I have created a new username and password? Where would I do that?

2) I had not initially created a database in WAMP before trying to import, so per your suggestion above I clicked the Databases tab but below the Create Database link it says No Privileges. The download instructions said everything is set up automatically, but it would seem I need to do something to set up my credentials. But how?

thanks,

Irv

Date: February 25, 2014 01:44AM

1) MySQL comes with 1 userid pre configured ... Username = root, Password = (leave this blank )

2) If you login with an actual existing userid ( as above ) then you will get the privileges for that userid ( root is the Super User and can do anything )

please see the bottom of this port for a link to the MySQL documentation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: IrvC (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2014 07:12PM

Ok I created the database in phpMyAdmin and started the import but it timed out before completing.

Then I went to the MySQL console and used the source command, which got much further but it timed out after 300 seconds before completing. Can I change the 300 second maximum execution time?

Date: February 25, 2014 11:07PM

There is no timeout if you are using the MySQL Console.

It runs and runs until it completes the restore script, unless there is something wrong with the script.

Posted by: IrvC (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2014 12:35AM

First I issued the command:

use <database.name>

then the command:

source <path\filename.sql;

so I don't know how there could be an error in the script, but it did respond after a while:

ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '<br />
<b>Fatal error</b>: Maximum execution time of 300 seconds exceeded in <b' at line 93

Date: February 26, 2014 01:46AM

There should not be a '<br />' in a database dump. Are you sure that the filename.sql was created by a datbase dump?

Date: February 26, 2014 04:12PM

yes the file was created by using the Export feature of phpMyAdmin on the host for our live site.

Looks like I need to scrub the data and re-export??

Date: February 27, 2014 06:14PM

I finally found an editor that could open a file of this size and see that it was the export that died, not the import. The error message I reported earlier is at the end of the export file and is not being generated by the import after all.

thanks for your help on this. I assume that my host can resolve the export timeout problem and I will be all set.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.