Editor opens instead of page
Posted by: opsdev (75.114.239.---)
Date: October 29, 2012 07:09PM

When I try to view a page that has a large number of items, the default php editor opens instead of the page. I thought this might be due to memory being low so I changed the setting in php's php.ini file to 2 GB but it still fails.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how to fix this.

Using WampServer 2.1

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Editor opens instead of page
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: October 29, 2012 07:28PM

how are you trying to open it?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: October 29, 2012 07:43PM

It is just a page on the web site so I am just clicking on the link to the page.

Date: October 29, 2012 07:53PM

you must be accessing the site wrong.

you MUST use [localhost] in your url

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: October 30, 2012 12:58AM

I have about 400 sites setup and they all work fine. It is only when the contents of a dropdown list is too large that this happens. I can edit the database of any site this happens with and remove some of the items and the page will load correctly. It doesn't matter what I remove, it is just the quantity, as far as I can tell. When a dropdown list is viewed in the source, all of the options are stored in one string so I am thinking that some limit of WampServer is being reached, though I don't know what that might be.

Date: October 30, 2012 03:49AM

its not clear what your talking about.
can you supply some images or code please.

this is nothing to do with wamp.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com

Date: November 12, 2012 03:07AM

I pologize for the delay in getting this posted. I thought the problem was related to mysql and was trying to come up with an easy test to show it but then I found that is not needed. If i run the following, instead of 10,000 lines being displayed on the page, the default php editor opens. The editor will contain this output along with the contents of the file. If I comment out the echo statement, the script runs fine. If I lower the count, it also runs fine with the echo uncommented.

<?php

$longstr = 'Hello World is one of the simplest program in most computer languages. It is often considered to be tradition among programmers for people attempting to learn a new programming language to write a program as one of the first steps of learning that particular language.';
$arry = array();
for ($i =0; $i < 10000; ++$i) {
   echo 'arry is '.$longstr.'<br>';
}
The same thing happens when a dropdown list is being populated with data from the database. Since that is usually what is happening when I see the problem, I thought that was the cause. But in both cases, it seem the output buffer is being overran. If I upload this script to a live server and run it, it will run fine. It is only when I run it locally that this happens. It is probably not due to wampserver but since that is the only way I can run it, this is where i thought to ask.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be caused by?

Date: November 19, 2012 02:59AM

Can someone try this code to see if the same thing happens. It might help me figure out where the problem is at.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.