db creation for wordpress
Posted by: doctorhands (---.sip.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 10, 2012 01:45AM

I tried to create a wordpress install but it couldn't detect the db.

I created a blank db in phpadmin and then uploaded WP into a folder in www. I named the folder and db the same so I wouldn't confuse them. I then typed localhost/(Folder_name) into the browser. The WP wizard started to create the wp-config file but I didn't have a password or username to put in. I tried with and without but it still couldn't connect to the db.

Am I missing a step?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: db creation for wordpress
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: October 10, 2012 10:51AM

OK,

When yo use phpMyAdmin to create a database, thats all you do , create a name to hang tables from.

You also need to create a user account in mysql that is allowed to access the database you created.

So:

Run phpMyAdmin
select that new database you created from the list on the left
Click the 'Privilages' tab on the top of the page
In the 'NEW' section, click 'Add User'
Enter a Username and Password ......... remember the password you need to add it and the userid to the Wordpress config file.
Make sure the 'Grant all privilages' radio button is selected ( WP need all priv to do its initial DB creation )

Click the Create button.

Go to your WP config file. Add the userid and password to the parameters in that.

Now try your WP install again.

Once the install is completed go back to your phpMyAdmin and change the users privilages and remove all but the 'Data' set of privs

You should be GoGoGO

Posted by: doctorhands (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 12, 2012 05:14AM

Woo Hoo, it worked. Thanks a lot. You rock!

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: October 12, 2012 11:52AM

My pleasure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.