Procedure to upgrade wampserver
Posted by: ralph_solaris (197.224.208.---)
Date: September 19, 2012 09:00AM

Hello,

I would like to upgrade my wampserver version to the latest one but I'm not sure what are the steps to follow in order to accomplish that operation.

I have WampServer Version 2.2 and would like to upgrade to 2.2E version. I have also install some addons (other versions of PHP, MySQL and phpmyadmin).
I would like to keep the actual configuration when upgrading to the new version of wampserver.

That are the steps in order to avoid any problems?

Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Procedure to upgrade wampserver
Posted by: Kajvin (---.cust.tele2.se)
Date: September 19, 2012 10:06AM

same question for me

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 01:31PM

1. Do a backup of all your databases ( to sql format )

2. Backup all your Users and their Privilage.

3. Make a backup of your current wamp folder, so you can compare Apache and PHP configs that you may have changed.

4. Uninstall your current wamp using the Add/Remove programs in windows

5. Download and Install the new version of wamp.

6. Make sure Apache and MySQL and phpMyAdmin are working on this new vanilla install before continuing.

7. Restore all you databases and users and their privilages.

8. copy your website(s) from the backup wamp folder to the new one ( if you are using simple subdirectories to hold your website(s). Or re-instate your virtual hosts if you are using them.

9. check the apache.conf and php.ini files to see if you need to activate any extensions which are not on by default. Beware of just copying these file from the old to the new as things change in the config files for good reasons that are not related to your personal requirements.

Posted by: ralph_solaris (197.224.208.---)
Date: September 19, 2012 02:26PM

Thank you for your valuable answer RiggsFolly.
Concerning the addons i have installed, do i need to re-install them or there is a way to back them up and restore it on the new vanilla install?

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 02:30PM

What addons are you talking about?

Posted by: ralph_solaris (41.76.44.---)
Date: September 19, 2012 04:55PM

The modules like other versions of phpmyadmin, php, mysql, apache, sendmail etc....

For example i have some databases on different mysql version depending on the project. I suppose i have to backup every database in the right mysql version re-install the mysql i need and import it again in the right mysql version.
Another example is that i have made some changes on a old phpmyadmin version (that i dont remember what were these modifications) and added some aliases.
I have also a local sendmail for test mail and i'm asking myself if copying the folder and configuration would be enough or i need to go for a fresh install and configuration.

In summary to keep theses changes i can't just copy/paste the bin and apps folder? or do i have to re-install every module, and apply the modifications i made?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 05:08PM by ralph_solaris.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2012 05:13PM

Don't upgrade at all

If u want I'll build the addons you want of the version-

There is big issues upgrading due to vc6 and vc9 compiler differences

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Posted by: ralph_solaris (41.76.44.---)
Date: September 21, 2012 08:52AM

I think it is possible to upgrade in my case because I already have a 2.2 version of wampserver. I'm not sure of the version of my installation but i think it is a 2.2a.

I looked into the changelog and if i'm not wrong my version is compiled in vc9: "All the components of the v2.2 WampServer stack have been compiled with VC9 version of Microsoft compiler."

If i'm wrong please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.