Small question: Upload speed?
Posted by: S0ld4n (---.212.142.103.getinternet.no)
Date: August 17, 2012 05:09PM

Hi,

I'm using an approx. 5 years old Dell computer to host my Website, a place where I keep my files so I can access them everywhere. It works perfectly well, but one small hick-up is the download speed (upload speed from the Dell, that is). It lies around 300 KB/s.

Speedtest.net shows that I get what I pay for, i.e. 10mbps (which should give me an upload speed of 1,25MB/s, right?)

I installed WAMP on my laptop aswell, and when I access the laptop from the Dell computer, I get an upload speed of around 1MB/s. They are connected to the same router.

What factors affect the upload speed? Is it because the computer is simply old? o.O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2012 05:12PM by S0ld4n.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Small question: Upload speed?
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: August 17, 2012 07:19PM

Its not a factor of the old dell.

Dont forget.... when you test the speed of your internet connection from the computer in question the UPLOAD speed is the download speed for external users ( not the download speed ).
Upload sppeds are always a lot slower with ADSL unless you have a Syncronous Data Subscriber Line, and they cost a lot more and are not easy t get access to.

When you access the website internally ( inside your network ) you will get the speed the router can cope with and your network cards can reach i.e roughly 100mbps minus overheads.

Date: August 17, 2012 07:59PM

Hi, thanks for your reply :-)

I'm aware that it's my network's upload speed capabilities that make out the download speed of the website.
My ISP provides me with 30mbps download and 10mbps upload (Confirmed by speedtest.net on both Dell and laptop)

So, when no one else is using my network, shouldn't I be able to download from my website at around 1MB/s ?

I am unable to confirm whether the high download speed from my laptop is due to the computers being on the same subnet, seeing I'd have to test it from the outside in order to find out. The download speed I get from the server hosted by my laptop seems more correct though..

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 04:03PM

Ahh I think I see what you mean now.

You are querying the speed when you are using the system inside your own network, ie not from the internet.

Surely the speed there will be controlled by the speed of the switch in the router and the capabilities of your network cards, which I am guessing will be the fairly standard 10/100 ethernet cards. So max speed throught your network will be 100 mbps as that all the cards can cope with.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2012 04:10PM

there is a setting in the registry that can be changed for speed

You need to open up regedit.exe and browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > AFD > Parameters

You need to create TWO DWORD values "DefaultReceiveWindow" and "DefaultSendWindow"

You then set both these values using DECIMAL (not Hex) using this formula:

DefaultReceiveWindow = (Download Capacity in Kilobits * 1024) / 8
DefaultSendWindow = (Upload Capacity in Kilobits * 1024) / 8

For example, for a 10Mbit (10000Kbit) upload and download:

DefaultReceiveWindow = (10000 * 1024) / 8 = 1280000
DefaultSendWindow = (10000 * 1024) / 8 = 1280000

Reboot and test your Apache speed on the Dell

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: August 19, 2012 06:28PM

Thank you for your suggestions.

I tried editing the registry exactly how you described, restarted the Dell and launched WAMP, but sadly there is not change :-/

It's weird though... if I download one file at a time from the website I get a little bit below 300 KB/s. But, if I download three files at a time, each lies around 190 KB/s, making out a total speed of 570 KB/s...

I have the www folder on an external hard drive. (If it for some reason should matter)

The computer is running Windows 8 Consumer Preview. (Are there any limitations?)

I have only installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 and WAMP (If I'm missing anything?)

Thanks again for your help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.