Website only accessible locally ?
Posted by: S0ld4n (---.212.142.103.getinternet.no)
Date: August 06, 2012 11:34PM

Hi,

I'm very new at this. I installed WAMP a couple of days ago and have been trying to figure things out. The problem is that I can only access my site on the same network (subnet) as the hosting computer. When I connect my laptop to my cell phone's internet, it fails to connect. (Other sites work, so it is connected to the internet)

I don't know if you need to do anything else than hit "Put Online" after you've installed it for it to work non-locally.

I have edited the 3 files inside Wamp\alias\ in the manner they specify.
I also gave the host-computer a static IP.

At first I assumed my ISP was blocking Port 80, because it showed as "blocked" on the following website:
[www.whatsmyip.org]

So I changed some files to "Listen 8080" and afterwards 81, but still couldn't access them non-locally (even if I put :8080/81 after the IP-address). Though, when I checked the Port Scanner website again, the port showed as Open. So I figured it only showed as "Blocked" because WAMP was occupying it. I changed back to "Listen 80" and now it shows as "Closed" on the Port Scanner website o.O

What have I failed to do, or done so wrongly? Any reply is extremly appreciated smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Website only accessible locally ?
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: August 07, 2012 10:59AM

1. You need to set the PC running wamp with a static IP address.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

2. Then you need to set port forwarding on your router. This allows external requests to cross the NAT barrier which is currently ignoring any and all bangs on your routers port 80.

The router gets a request from an ip on the internet on port 80. The router does not have a web server so it looks for an instruction to forward this request to a PC inside the network that is running a web server listening on port 80.
That basically what port forwarding is.

Lookup your router on this site for help if you need it.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/default.htm

Date: August 07, 2012 04:18PM

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply.

I have double-checked that the computer running wamp has been set with a static IP, and I've also done the port forwarding. Sadly, with no change.

I tried enabling Virtual Server and typing in the info there instead. That got me about a milimeter further.. Now when I try to access the website from outside the subnet, the page goes white for a second and the WAMP-icon shows on the top of the page next to the page title, and then it fails and sais "Sorry, Google Chrome is unable to connect to 192.168.0.108".

Does this mean I'm getting warmer, or?

Date: August 07, 2012 08:27PM

I'm sorry - it seems I've been trying to connect to my website through the wrong IP-address. I used the one that showes up under cmd>ipconfig /all>IPv4-address.

When I go to a website like www.whatsmyip.org it shows an entirely differnt IP-address that I can connect perfectly well through with my cell phone and any computer on the same subnet aswell.

As I said... I'm new to this winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.