Code stepping
Posted by: hollysann (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2012 11:01PM

I am trying to set up a local debugging environment for a complex PHP application on my laptop. I have setup WampServer to serve my app and all is well there. I want to be able to set breakpoints and step through my PHP and JavaScript code. Through Google I have found several product possibilities but have been unable to make any work. I have tried Eclipse PDT + Zend Debugger, NuSphere PhpED, and Komodo. I think in general the problem lies in getting the 3rd party IDEs to recognize the Wamp Server.

Can anyone advise me on how to get this working with one of these or a similar affordable IDE capable of step through debugging?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Code stepping
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2012 11:11PM

i honestly think these are the worst programs you could possibly use.

but if you must use one, use Nusphere ,

Nusphere runs its own version of php as you probably found out

they are very php-centric and they are not not suitable for Web Debugging in my opinion.

notepad++ , a piece of paper and all errors turned on, as well as a good idea of how to debug code manual is and espically the experience of where to look is much more valuable..

TIP - keep functions SMALL

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2012 11:18PM by stevenmartin99.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: August 06, 2012 02:31PM

Holly,

I use Eclipse PDT and have found it very useful for debugging php code.

I use 32 bit wamp server.

Eclipse and the PDT are written in Java so it can be a bit clunky but once you get the debugger configured correctly it seems to be reasonably bullet proof.

I always create a VHOST for each site/project I am working on. This makes so many things easier to manage in my opinion.

Its then just a case of setting up a PDT project and then the DEBUG Configuration to match it.
Remember that you have to launch your index.php in debug mode, then navigate to the code you actually want to test.

If you cannot get it working on your own, I could walk you through it using TeamViewer if you want to arrange a time we are both avaiable.
I am on GMT+1

Posted by: hollysann (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2012 01:46PM

Riggs,
Thanks for the info and your kind offer to assist me.
I was able to get NetBeans working. With the NetBeans I can step through the PDP but not the embedded Javascript.For future reference I am wondering if Eclipse PDT or any of the other IDEs can decipher the Javascript as well as the PHP.

Holly

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: August 09, 2012 01:58PM

Use your browsers javascript debugging capabilities.
Javascript is a browser based execution so thats where the debugger needs to be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.