WAMP installed - Error 404
Posted by: jimgunn@jgunnresearch.com (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 10:44PM

I have installed WAMP 64bit on WIN7 64 bit. The installation was straight forward, no error messages.

However, when I run the first suggested test to left click the orange icon in the system tray, my browser (IE9), simple display [localhost] indicates http Error 404 not found.

I have tried suggestion on this forum, but still no success. I do note when I go the Windows Task Manager, Services that wampacache is stopped while wampmysqld is running with PID 3236.

I do do not know what to do. Can someone offer help to solve problems and get wamp up and working.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP installed - Error 404
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: April 10, 2012 09:48PM

If your WAMP icon in the system stray is not GREEN either mysql or apache has not started properly.

Its most likely to be apache.

On windows 7 the HOSTS file needs to be checked to ensure you have a
127.0.0.1 localhost

line in it and that it is not commented out with a #

the HOSTS file is in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

In order to edit it you must start your editor "Run As Administrator" or windows will not let you edit it.

To do this find you editor icon and shift-right click the icon. A menu will appear with "Run as Administrator" in it. Click that and then open c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts to make the change.

Posted by: jimgunn@jgunnresearch.com (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 04:16PM

I checked this as you instruct above. "127.0.0.1 localhost" line is already in HOSTS. In fact, in 3 lines not commented (#).

Other suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: April 27, 2012 12:44AM

You cannot do anything until you get apache running.

Check the apache error log.

Also check the event viewer in windows.

Is something else using port 80? like skype? If so do a seach to find out how to change skype not to use port 80.

Check no other web servers are running like IIS they all use port 80 by default. get rid of any other web servers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.