Wamp Server & Wordpress
Posted by: Jammmy (---.e-crane.com)
Date: April 05, 2012 10:32AM

I tried installing the wamp server to start with a local version of a brandnew web design. I followed the steps like here: [sixrevisions.com]

Now I came to the step where I need to install WordPress, so I did. I created a new database in phpMyAdmin and then installed WordPress. I never got the "Success"! message like this, I only get the WP logo at the top.

When I go to localhost/website, It shows me the WordPress Twentyeleven layout, but it says: Nothing found. No posts or pages can be found. I can see the tables in the database I've created in phpMyAdmin though. It's like it can't find the data in the database.

The wp-config file was automatically created by the installation. All values are correct. Is this something to do with the Windows Firewall? Or shouldn't this be a problem?

What went wrong and how can I fix this? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp Server & Wordpress
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: April 05, 2012 10:55AM

Scrap it and start again.

Follow the instruction to the letter. Its normally a breeze.

Just one point, you have to edit the wp-config-sample.php to add the database name,userid,password and change the Authentication Keys. Then save it as wp-config.php before you run the install.

Date: April 05, 2012 01:03PM

That's what I did... over and over again.
Any more thoughts?

Posted by: bmatthews (---.range86-144.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 06, 2012 01:26AM

I'm pretty certain I know the cause the of the problem.

BTW I am currently in the same position as you.

I think, the reason we are left with just a logo instead of a success message is because the installation wasn't able to actually send an email as it is local and there is no smtp server to actually send the email.

Just my early thoughts on the matter.

I am sure there is a way around it though

Date: April 06, 2012 01:47AM

OK.... Sorted. Well sort of.

Here's what you need to do have wordpress install locally if you are having this issue.

Please note that you will still be left with an empty page sporting a solitary wordpress logo on the second step and no "hello world" post will be made, so don't think something is wrong - it appears so but your user will be created - so you can log in.

FIX

Untick the box that reads, "Allow my site to appear in search engines like Google and Technorati"

That is all... and you will be able to log in with the admin username and password you specified while installing.

Date: April 06, 2012 10:06AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried everything, ticking/unticking the box that reads "Allow my site to appear in search engines like Google and Technorati"

I've tried logging in, but I can't. I get the following message: ERROR: Invalid username. Lost your password?
It looks like the user can't be found either. It's just the regular "admin" user and a password I chose. I'm 100% sure this password is correct.

I'll give it another try, but I don't think it will be any different. I'll try another easy password and I hope this works.

Date: April 06, 2012 10:13AM

Hi,

I did like you said, but I still can't log in. I do notice a difference in ticking or unticking that box.
Now my site title is like the one I entered with the install.

So it works like it should then, but I just can't login. Is there a way to change or add a user login and password in phpMyAdmin?

Date: April 06, 2012 04:19PM

Have you granted ALL PRIVILEGES to 'root' user for localhost AND 127.0.0.1 in your wamp phpmyadmin configuration?

All I did was untick the box and when I checked the DB my user was created so I knew I could log in.

I am on PhpMyAdmin 3.4.5 and WampServer V2.2

Date: April 06, 2012 04:31PM

Ok, if that doesn't work - this should hopefully do the trick!

Add the admin user to your wp_users table as such:

Brief Legend:
-> means to make it this value without quotes or escapes (Do not add what is in brackets)

Your username will be: admin

Your password will be: [notepad.cc]

EDIT: I posted it on notepadcc for security reasons. Also I didn't intend for you to have this password it is just because this is my password on my local install and I don't know how wordpress hashes them (it is not MD5), once you have added these values and logged in, you can then change your password as you wish.

ADD THESE VALUES:

ID -> 1,

user_login -> admin

user_pass -> $P$BGsUoApClQL55QKt/rcQPK18Vm.YkH/

user_nicename -> admin

user_email -> (YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS)

user_url -> (LEAVE BLANK)

user_registered, -> 2012-04-05 23:39:02 (KEEP THIS FORMAT - BUT YOU CAN CHANGE VALUES)

user_activation_key -> (LEAVE BLANK)

user_status -> 0

display_name -> admin

DONE!

Now your username and password should be as I stated above.

I sincerely hope that works.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2012 04:42PM by bmatthews.

Date: April 10, 2012 08:53AM

Hey bmatthews,

I did like you said and tried to log in. It said I didn't have enough permission to log in. I searched on the internet to find more information on how to add a user and found out I had to take another step: [www.velvetblues.com]

But this worked like a charm! I can log in now! Thanks a lot!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.