Does Wamp Server 2.2a support windows XP
Posted by: Zeeshan Ahmed Memon (116.71.32.---)
Date: October 24, 2011 11:12AM

Dear All,

I try to install wamp server 2.2a on windows xp. After successful installation when I start wampserver, it throw an exception

"Aestan Tray Menu has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. "

I try to install it with administrative rights but am unable to understand how to execute the installer with administrative role as It ask me for password which I didnot set against administrator.

Then I install it on windows 7 with administrative rights and this time it not only installed successfully but wamp server is also started.

I want to know that is this new server only supported by windows server 2008 and windows 7 or is it also supported by windows xp.

If it can be started with windows xp then please guide me how I install it because I already waste my 2 days on it.

Hope to see a reply soon against this problem.

Regards,
Zeeshan Ahmed Memon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does Wamp Server 2.2a support windows XP
Posted by: Zeeshan Ahmed Memon (119.155.120.---)
Date: October 24, 2011 06:00PM

I have resolved the issue. I have to install dot net framework 3.5, which help in starting wamp server.

But after then another issue arised and that was

"wamp server is offline. It's color change to orange and I was unable to start."

To resolve the issue I follow these steps and its running successfully now.

1) Go to wamp folder
2) go to bin folder
3) go to apache folder
4) go to Apache2.2.21
5) go to config folder
6) inside config folder there is a file httpd.config
7) change Listen 80 to Listen 8080.
8) save the file and restart wamp server services.
9) Now open browser and type in address bar (http:\\localhost:8080).

That's all. It worked for me and I hope that same work for you as well.

Good Luck!

Re: Does Wamp Server 2.2a support windows XP
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: October 30, 2011 02:06AM

Make sure no other program conflict Wamp such as IIS, SQL, Skype, Zonealarm, firewall/antivirus, NOD32, Eset, any web related program including Remote Desktop, Teamviewer ...

IIS and Apache/Wamp are both web server and might conflict in some way, so you have to disable IIS in order for Wamp to work

Disable IIS in Vista/W7:

Control Panel, Uninstall Programs, Turn Widows Features On or Off, uncheck Internet Information Services

Disable IIS in XP:

Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, uncheck Internet Information Services (IIS)

Restart computer, then restart Wamp

Also, in folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc, open file hosts and delete anything in this file and have only this line below and nothing else

127.0.0.1 localhost

If using Skype, open Skype > Tools > Options > Advanced > Connection then uncheck "use port 80..." restart Wamp then Skype

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.