unable to connect to localhost
Posted by: lauralee (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 02:50PM

When trying to install, I followed directions and clicked on localhost but the browser page that opens says "Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

even though I have internet connection. Did I miss something during the download?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: unable to connect to localhost
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2011 12:56AM

Make sure no other program conflict Wamp such as IIS, Microsoft Web Deploy, SQL, Skype, Zonealarm, firewall/antivirus, NOD32, Eset, any web related program including Remote Desktop, Teamviewer or Apache, MySQL, PHP outside wamp folder (ie. in Program Files or System32 folder) ...

IIS and Apache/Wamp are both web server and might conflict in some way, so you have to disable IIS in order for Wamp to work

Disable IIS in Vista/W7:

Control Panel, Uninstall Programs, Turn Widows Features On or Off, uncheck Internet Information Services

Disable IIS in XP:

Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, uncheck Internet Information Services (IIS)

Restart computer, then restart Wamp

Also, in folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc, open file hosts and delete anything in this file and have only this line below and nothing else

127.0.0.1 localhost

If using Skype, open Skype > Tools > Options > Advanced > Connection then uncheck "use port 80..." restart Wamp then Skype

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: lauralee (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 01:13AM

I attempted to change the following:
Also, in folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc, open file hosts and delete anything in this file and have only this line below and nothing else

127.0.0.1 localhost but the computer would not allow me to save the file after making the change.

I have not been able to find how to
Disable IIS in Vista/W7:

I had a previous version of Wampserver installed on the computer. Should I unistall it?

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2011 06:01AM

Save www folder from that old wamp and also use phpmyadmin come w/ that old wamp to export DB's, then uninstall it, remove its folder, restart pc then install new wamp

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.