Accessing local drive files outside of www folder?
Posted by: puniksem (---.static.enta.net)
Date: March 18, 2011 01:53PM

Hi there, I have been using your server for a week now and think it is a very good and reliable application. For that I am very grateful, however i have encountered a small hurdle I require assistance with.

I am providing a free support and resource server to blind and partially sighted users, and need to be able to create URL's to files on my computers hard drives outside of the WampServer www folder, firstly is this possible, and if so how?

I would like to thank you in advance for any assistance / advice you can offer on this somewhat baffling matter.

We are what we repeatedly do - excellence - therefore, is not an act but a habit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accessing local drive files outside of www folder?
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2011 03:39PM

You need to setup Access, DNS, and VH; Access for permission to connect to your Wamp PC, DNS to tie domain(s) to your Wamp PC, and VH to host multiple Domains/Websites/IP's and even you have only 1 Domain/IP, you should use VH to set it up w/ the site you want to show up first on top and localhost on bottom and others in middle if having more than 1 site; also, VH helps to have real domain or even fake/local domain(s) in browsers instead IP's which are not easy to remember; if dont have real Domain, just skip DNS guide. As mentioned above, after all these guides, you can have 'http://phpbb3' instead 'http://192.168.1.2/phpbb3'

To setup Access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup VH, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

To setup DNS, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 19, 2011 06:36PM

By your answer I'm not sure you understood my question.

I have a number of local hard drives which i would like to share the content of those drives through the joomla based site that I have created using your server software on my local computer, I have a redirecting DNS and my own domain.

But the question remains, how can I share the content of my local hard drives, to share files that are in folders of which are NOT in the www folder of Wamp. Normally all content that is on a website must be in the www sub folder to be included in the sites linkable contents.

The site on my computer is set up for public access, and in conclusion I want to link to files that are on the same computer, but located on a different internal hard drive to the wamp installation.

So how if possible can I link to said files to make the files downloadable through joomla?

Date: March 19, 2011 09:09PM

need to be able to create URL's to files on my computers hard drives outside of the WampServer www folder, firstly is this possible, and if so how?
Yep, everything is possible as long as you set it up properly; for example, on my PC, I only have Windows and Wamp, all data and databases are on 2 NAS drives

I have a number of local hard drives which i would like to share the content of those drives through the joomla based site
You should post this question in Joomla forums then winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: March 19, 2011 10:36PM

It is not a joomla issue to post there, it's more a question about how I can link to files stored outside WAMPSERVER root folder.

Stating that everything is possible if done correctly is no potential solution to my question more a statement of fact that lends no resolution, your answer was neither clear nor helpful toward my goal.

Can anyone advise on a possible solution? I have been toying with the idea of running an ftp file server along side WampServer to link the remotely located files.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: March 19, 2011 10:48PM

no no, you dont it like that smiling smiley

Its very simple, You can just add more directories into the httpd.conf or you can set up virtual hosts.

Add Directories
---------------------------------------------------------
left click wamp>apache> htttp.conf

at the very end add

Alias /WEBSITENAME "X:/PATH/TO/FILES/" 
<Directory "X:/PATH/TO/FILES/">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
    AllowOverride all
        Order Allow,Deny
             Allow from all
</Directory>

You will access this using http ://localhost/WEBSITENAME
----------------------------------------------------------

Using Virtual Hosts is a little different to setup, If you feel you need this, ill explain its setup. But the difference is really that Virtual Hosts will allow you to use a different URL other than localhost/folder

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: March 19, 2011 11:49PM

Thank you for your quick and precise answer, you have saved allot of heartache and long winded efforts.

I do however have one additional question, if i wish to add multiple drives directories into the one statement, is there a tidy way to write the below script, or do I have to repeat the script for each drive requires listing.

AllowOverride all
        Order Allow,Deny
             Allow from all
</Directory>

PS. I think you should have a word with your moderator, he was both unhelpful and un-cooperative making me feel that I received support by someone who was unwilling to assist in your products best interests, where your response was both helpful and has resolved my question promptly and accurately.

For that, I sincerely thank you no end...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 12:38AM by puniksem.

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: March 20, 2011 07:42AM

No , you need to add the code each time..

Wel he did answer the question in his first post , if you havd followed the guide for VHosts, you would end up with what i was mentioning above.

If its only for local use then you dont really need to do any of this. If you putting it on the Web, Go back up and read through those 4 guides so you know whats needed to make it secure.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: March 20, 2011 12:51PM

Thank you for your reply, however the reason I asked my question, is that I (as with many) don't admittedly have the first clue about the handling of the script often no matter how well documented, until such a time where the reader is pointed in the right direction (like you did). Did the penny drop and all became clearer to understand.

Date: March 20, 2011 11:38PM

As mentioned, if you want to specify the path in Joomla, you have to post question in Joomla forums; on the other hand, if for general, you need to setup VH and related setups as the guides I've posted

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2011 05:19PM by yfastud.

Posted by: freespirit (87.112.133.---)
Date: August 15, 2011 05:08PM

Hi. Thank you so much for this brilliant question and help. I have the same question and did experience difficulties following the information in the links. I have wamp on a local disk E: but would like to share the entire contents of a usb external drive (Fsmiling smiley ie all its folders. Is this possible? If so, how would I change the code below to reflect this? The alias name I have given for this drive is classicF

AllowOverride all
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

WOULD IT BE

Alias /classicF "F:/"
<Directory "F:/">
AllowOverride all
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

I ALREADY CONFIG MY HOSTS FILE.
kind regards
freespirit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.