WAMP on Atom Processor anyone???
Posted by: reuben (---.87.217.76.PTP-Leased-Line.nivyah.com)
Date: February 23, 2011 03:04AM

Hey, is anyone here sucessfully running WAMP localhost on a laptop,leaptop,notebook etc using any of the ATOM processors ??

I reaaly need to buy a portable pc, but i cant afford a laptop right now......the atom ones seem to be affordable......or should I reaaly invest in a laptop ???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP on Atom Processor anyone???
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2011 04:10AM

It should be fine since I'm using it on my netbook right now winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: reuben (---.87.217.227.PTP-Leased-Line.nivyah.com)
Date: February 23, 2011 04:10PM

Thanks yfastud , does it hang or anything ??? any additional info you can provide me with regarding wamp on ATOM processors ?? thanks again.....

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: February 23, 2011 06:49PM

dont worry about the processor.. the ram is more important.

if i was you , i would wait. but i dont know your financial situation so i dunno how quickly you can save up the rest... but if your talking just some weeks... i would wait for something you will be truly happy with

what version of windows does it have? be weary of windows 7 starter.. its annoying that they limiited it.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: February 24, 2011 01:24AM

Why netbook? Low budget or more traveling? Just keep in mind that desktops are always much powerful than laptops/netbooks, and if you often keep a good track, you will get a good deal

Here I give you some tips so you know what you're looking for

If for more travelling or convenience, we've got our first netbook Acer Aspire One 10.1" for $120 and a while after we couldn't resist to get Asus EEE 9" for 78 bucks. Memory 2GB for upgrading is about 10 bucks. Ask some college friends to grab a copy of Windows 7 Premium 3 users for 40-50 bucks, and you should have a nice netbook for less than $170. If don't have college friend, you can get upgrade version from starter to premium for 20 bucks here
[www.circuitcity.com]

Or better get a laptop like the one I've got Acer Aspire AS5534-1096 for $270, a very thin and light yet powerful laptop
AMD Athlon" 64 X2 dual-core processor L310, 1.2GHz Per Processor
4GB DDR2 memory
250GB hard drive
15.6" high-definition LED backlit widescreen display
SuperMulti double-layer DVD drive
Wireless N and Gigabit Ethernet port
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition
[www.amazon.com]

If prefer a desktop, for less than 200 bucks, you can get a quad core desktop here
[www.compusa.com]

Or I've just built a hexa core desktop for a friend for less than 300 bucks
$200 - AMD Phenom II 1100T Black Edition Six Core 3.30GHz + free MB w/ HDMI and DDR3
$20 - 4GB DDR3 Ram (2GB x 2)
$20 - 1.5TB 7200rpm Hard Drive
$10 - 500w Power Supply
$25 - BluRay Rom
$5 - 512MB Video Card + Free 16GB USB Flash Drive
Free after MIR - PC Case
$280 total + tax for some items

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 04:56AM by yfastud.

Posted by: reuben (---.87.217.160.PTP-Leased-Line.nivyah.com)
Date: February 24, 2011 06:30PM

@yfastud and @steve, thanks, guys for the info,
I require one for travelling......spend atleast 3 hours travelling.... figure I could do something useful in that time........lovin this new-found interest........

@steve......how much should the RAM be of minimum.....?? maybe play some movies at the most.......NO GAMES...I hate games on the PC..

thanks again...

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 06:39PM

most of the netbooks come with 1gb. But im sure you know over time a pc slows down ,this is usually becuase the more things installed.. the more ram being used up regardless if you use them or not... even if you try hard to keep things tidy and clean.

Id wait and get a small laptop with 2-3gb of ram. this is nothing to do with wamp. but just for your own sanity smiling smiley

i suppose the other issue is the battery. i recently bought my gf a new lil acer netbook that came with a 6cell battery which is invaluable if your travelling 3hours at a time.

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: February 24, 2011 07:26PM

As mentioned above, if using netbook, upgrade to Windows 7 Premium and 2GB Ram, but make sure to have a good high clock memory speed. Remember don't try 4GB Ram on netbook since some netbooks' MB can't support it and you would fry MB. Better find the laptop like the one I'm using since it's very thin and light yet powerful, I mean within a very reasonable price range winking smiley And believe it or not, a good laptop/netbook does not have to buy from a big brand-names electronics store; I've bought my laptop from Walmart and netbook from Target winking smiley

Another tip: do NOT buy when you need but when seeing a very good price; for example, as seen in this receipt, the regular price for 1.5 TB external is 139.99 and 1.5 TB internal is 119.99 but I've bought them for 24.99 and 19.99 respectively and not just 1 or 2 but a bunch of them
[jlbn.net]
[jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 04:22PM by yfastud.

Posted by: gamecp (74.102.52.---)
Date: February 26, 2011 08:19AM

i run virtual machines on my nettop (4g ram, dual core atom ) and it runs wamp and lamp on the virtual machines fine - lag free

apache and mysql are low resource if your scripts are optimized and run well. I've ran "wamp" style installs on systems with less then 1G memory keeping in mind all this was originally created when computers were slower then your phone and it could run fairly lag free

my .02 - wamp can run on anything that has windows

-- William (GameCP CEO)
-- [GameCP.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 08:19AM by gamecp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.