accessing database from outside
Posted by: Tsukys (---.cpe.netcabo.pt)
Date: September 30, 2010 10:01PM

Hi, I use wamp for a long time but this time I want to access the database (created in phpmyadmin) from other side of the web, but It gives me the following error:

"Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Host 'LAXY' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server in ..."

So I tried to access it inside the network, yet from another pc, but it gives me the same error, how do I allow to access it from outside ?

I already tried disabling the AV and Firewall but the problem remains.

Thanks in advance =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: accessing database from outside
Posted by: toivo (203.19.130.---)
Date: October 01, 2010 01:59PM

If you want to access the database from another server, normally the user you created has to be granted the access rights under the host that the connection is originated from.

toivo
Sydney, Australia

Date: October 01, 2010 02:07PM

thanks for the answer ^^

how can I do that ? even If I use the root account ? which have all the power ?

Posted by: toivo (203.19.130.---)
Date: October 01, 2010 02:18PM

You do not need to use the root user, you can create a different user in phpMyAdmin and add the host under it, so to speak.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: October 01, 2010 05:43PM

Tsukys, keep in mind that when you remote access your db, your info such as username, password... will propagate through worldwide internet and thus easily to be detected by anybody, no matter they're hacker or not, and also no convenient as you thought since all and each query has to go back and forth a very long worldwide internet..., especially if it's in your wamp pc, it mostly rely on your internet upload speed and you can imagine how slow it would be; thus, it's one of reasons most, if not all, live hosts disable this feature

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: October 01, 2010 05:53PM

ok, thanks for the advices ^^

I can connect to it already ^^ but I'm not really concerned about it really, as the db don't even leave internet, I have the app in one computer and the db in another one but both inside a local network

Thanks for the advice and help =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 05:56PM by Tsukys.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2010 06:16AM

unless there is no internet at all, even all pc in lan, transactions still propagate outside lan winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.