Installing WAMP server and accessing Localhost
Posted by: bartekszymanski (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 04, 2010 05:40PM

I have installed WAMP server to use wordpress locally on my machine. I got to the point when I am supposed to click on the localhost link in the wamp server menu. When I do that the browser opens and I get a message: "You are not authorized to view this page". Below is the whole message. I am sure there is a simple fix for that, I just cannot find it. Thanks for any ideas.

You are not authorized to view this page
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

Please try the following:

* Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials.
* If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the localhost home page.

HTTP 401.1 - Unauthorized: Logon Failed
Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

* More information:
Microsoft Support

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing WAMP server and accessing Localhost
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2010 06:29PM

IIS (Internet Information Services ) and Apache/Wamp are both web server and might conflict in some way, so you have to disable IIS in order for Wamp to work

Disable IIS in Vista/W7:

Control Panel, Uninstall Programs, Turn Widows Features On or Off, uncheck Internet Information Services

Disable IIS in XP:

Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, uncheck Internet Information Services (IIS)

Restart computer, then restart Wamp

Also, in folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc, open file hosts and delete anything in this file and have only this line below and nothing else

127.0.0.1 localhost

If using Skype, open Skype > Tools > Options > Advanced > Connection uncheck "use port 80..." restart Wamp then Skype

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Re: Installing WAMP server and accessing Localhost
Posted by: bartekszymanski (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 04, 2010 10:14PM

It worked, thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.