"Connection reset" errors - trying local while NOT connected to Internet
Posted by: ExTexan (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2010 01:29AM

Let me start by saying that I've been using WAMP for a loooooooooong time, and it has been installed and working for a looooooooong time. And NOTHING in the setup has changed.

I work on my laptop either at home (hard-wired in), or at a public location (via WiFi). A couple of days ago, at Starbucks, I was getting LOTS of "The connection was reset" errors, even though I was working on a site that was *completely* local on my laptop. The only difference between that day and other days I've been there was that their WiFi was down, so I wasn't connected to the Internet. But I wouldn't think that would affect me accessing the "localhost" site I was working on. Each time I got the "reset" error, I would refresh (usually several times) and finally the page would load.

At that time, I thought it might be related to the AntiVirus program I installed the day before because that's the only thing that had changed. But then, yesterday, the same thing happened at home. And, as it turns out, the connection to my service provider was down for a while.

So when I'm not connected to the Internet, but trying to access LOCAL sites, pages are VERY slow to load and/or I get frequent "connection reset" errors. Can someone explain why this is the case? Is there something in my set-up that needs to be tweaked?

TIA.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Connection reset" errors - trying local while NOT connected to Internet
Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras2.blp.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: July 07, 2010 01:31AM

what browser?

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: July 07, 2010 01:45AM

I'm using Firefox 5 and (I think) the latest version(s) of all WAMP components. Running in Windows Vista Ultimate. I'm a web developer, so connecting to these "local" sites is what I do just about every day - usually without problems. I just don't understand why the problems come up when I'm not connected to the outside world if I'm just trying to work locally.

Posted by: spaz (---.cab.prima.net.ar)
Date: October 18, 2010 09:05AM

ExTexan, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm in EXACTLY the same situation pulling my hair trying to find out what the hell is wrong.

I too have been using wamp for years and now I'm getting this behaviour out of the blue with every browser I have installed (FF 3.6, Chrome, IE8, Safari 3)

I also tried disabling pretty much everything while testing this thing out to no avail. Even the home screen of wamp gives me a blank page 3 out of 5 times when I press F5!

I'm using:
PHP 5.2.1
MySQL 5.1.36
Win7 Ultimate

Date: October 18, 2010 07:27PM

@spaz,

No, I didn't really find a solution. Now I'm on a different laptop - Win7 instead of Vista. My versions of PHP/MySQL etc. look the same as yours. This became a back-burner issue for me simply because I haven't been in the situation of *not* being connected to the 'net. I did get the "connection reset" errors repeatedly a few weeks ago, but perhaps my connection was down for a short while or just fritzing out or maybe my service provider had unusually heavy traffic.

But I haven't been back on this issue much because that particular "wheel" hasn't been squeaking. :p

Sorry I can't be more help. If you find a solution, please post it back here, ok? (and I'll do the same)

Posted by: spaz (---.cab.prima.net.ar)
Date: October 18, 2010 09:39PM

@ExTexan,

(In my case I got the same erratic results both while being connected to the internet and while being disconnected)

I've upgraded from PHP 5.2.11 -> 5.3.1 and everything works lightning fast! Still sucks donkey balls because I need to work with 5.2.x for most of my projects. But at least I've located the source of the errors.

I will disable all extensions in PHP and do some tests to see who's the culprit. I suspect xdebug might have something to do with this but I don't have time right now to try this out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.