phpMyAdmin can't read config file
Posted by: hedera (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 27, 2010 04:07AM

This was working back in mid-May and now that I'm back from vacation, it's not. I have Wampserver ver. 2.0 installed on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit laptop. Back in May when I clicked on phpMyAdmin from the menu it came up (after I typed in the non-standard port I use, another story which I've fixed). Now I get a login page and this error:

phpMyAdmin was unable to read your configuration file!
This might happen if PHP finds a parse error in it or PHP cannot find the file.
Please call the configuration file directly using the link below and read the PHP error message(s) that you receive. In most cases a quote or a semicolon is missing somewhere.
If you receive a blank page, everything is fine.

I click on the config.inc.php link below and get this error:

Starting to parse config file...
Parse error: parse error in C:\wamp\apps\phpmyadmin3.2.0.1\config.inc.php on line 25

My config.inc.php file isn't very complicated, here it is:

<?php

/* Servers configuration */
$i = 0;

/* Server: localhost [1] */
$i++;
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['verbose'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysqli';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '********';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = false;

/* End of servers configuration */

$cfg['DefaultLang'] = 'en-utf-8';
$cfg['ServerDefault'] = 1;
$cfg['UploadDir'] = 'C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.1.36\tmp\';
$cfg['SaveDir'] = 'C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.1.36\tmp\';

?>

Except for the password text, that's it. Line 25 is the last one before the ?>, and for the life of me I can't see an error - everything is correctly delimited in quotes, the ending semicolon is there - WHAT's wrong?? The parm on that line was originally blank, I copied the URL from the previous line into it but it made no difference. Help??

hedera
=======
Nature bats last.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: phpMyAdmin can't read config file
Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2010 04:46AM

Date: June 27, 2010 06:12AM

Thanks for the fast response, yfastud. Actually, there was nothing wrong with the password, I could log in with it manually.

However, this has all become moot, because I installed the Wampserver patch, and it's corrupted my whole installation, and unless the guy who supports it can come up with a solution, I'll probably have to uninstall the whole system and reinstall. At which point I HOPE phpMyAdmin will be able to read its config file! I'll keep a note of these suggestions for reference when I get back to setting up again...

hedera
=======
Nature bats last.

Date: June 27, 2010 04:03PM

that's why I keep remind people to make up backup every time before any editing

to setup backup, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

but you should follow the guide above when your wamp is in perfect state, and in your current situation, if and only if you can NOT repair your wamp, then follow these steps

1. use phpmyadmin or mysqldump to export/backup all your db including dump tables
2. backup all you data in www folder
3. shut down wamp
4. uninstall wamp
5. remove/rename wamp folder
6. run regedit to search and delete 2 registries wampapache and wampmysql
7. uninstall firewall/antivirus if any
8. restart pc
9. reinstall wamp
10. reinstall firewall/antivirus WHILE wamp is running
11. restore data from backup folder to www folder
12. setup all db accounts
to setup db acct, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]
13. use phpmyadmin or mysqldump to import/restore all dump db to associated acct

btw, what patch you talking about???

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: June 27, 2010 07:33PM

Thanks for the links, especially on backup and setting up db accounts. You're quite right that now is NOT the time to back up! (And I KNOW better than this, too!)

I'm a little disturbed by the suggestion that I need to uninstall my firewall and antivirus before reinstalling wamp - surely turning them off would be enough?? I'm reasonably sure I just installed the thing, last time, without doing anything about either firewall or antivirus, and everything was working until I messed with the patch. However, I don't remember whether I last installed Wampserver before or after I switched security programs from ZoneAlarm to Norton Internet Security 2010.

In fact, since I'm just setting up Wampserver again after rebuilding the PC, I didn't have any DB set up yet. But I'll keep that link on how to set up DB accounts, because I'll get there.

What patch? Um, the one you download from this Sourceforge link:

[sourceforge.net]

hedera
=======
Nature bats last.

Date: June 27, 2010 10:13PM

Sourceforge is independent site which has a lot of people post their softs there, not just this wampserver, so you might want to contact the developer of that patch for more help winking smiley

why uninstall firewall/antivirus? you will reinstall them after installing wamp successful and do this to avoid headache conflict winking smiley

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 10:15PM by yfastud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.