Wamp was working but isn't now
Posted by: egoche (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: April 21, 2010 07:36PM

PHP Newbie here...

I installed WampServer on a Windows XP Pro computer and started start coding a couple of things. Over the last few days I created a short form that successfully did two things:

1) Display, in the browser, the information that was entered in the form
2) Send an email containing the information that was entered in the form

Yesterday, everything was working fine. This morning, I checked it and was surprised to find that it wasn't working:

1) The browser now displays only the form's header; nothing past that is shown
2) The email no longer gets sent

I uninstalled WampServer and downloaded/installed WampServer 2.0i...no change.

To the best of my knowledge, nothing was changed on the computer. As mentioned above I'm a newbie with PHP so I have limited understanding of what to look for.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I can do to get this working again?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp was working but isn't now
Date: April 21, 2010 07:57PM

I now realize that it's working when I test the form from the machine where wamp is installed, but not when I use a different computer to access it. The wampserver is online but it's not working from a remote computer.

Posted by: yfastud (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2010 09:01PM

you need to setup access, dns, and vh; access for permission to connect to your wamp pc, dns to tie domain(s) to your wamp pc, and vh to host multiple domains/websites and even you have only 1 domain/ip, you should use vh to set it up w/ the site you want to show up first on top and localhost on bottom and others in middle if having more than 1 site; if dont have real domain, just skip dns guide

to setup access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

to setup vh, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

to setup dns, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: April 21, 2010 09:19PM

When I first set everything up, I installed WampServer on the XP machine (Computer A). After setting everything up, I was able to use a Windows 7 machine (Computer cool smiley to open the html form, enter the information and have the coding processing as I intended. There wasn't any need to setup access, vh or dns.

I'm confused as to why I would need to set those up now when it was working before without setting them up.

Date: April 22, 2010 12:20AM

I wonder the same since w/o any setups, you will NOT able to do that??? anyway, what is the URL address did you put in the browser in win7 to access webpages on win xp???

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: egoche (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 22, 2010 03:04AM

The XP machine is named CMGMTWS008. From the remote computer I open a browser (IE8) and enter 'cmgmtws008/checklist.html'.

Date: April 22, 2010 04:48AM

you must at least have Access setup or it will NOT work

to setup access, follow this
[blog.jlbn.net]

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: egoche (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 24, 2010 05:19AM

Sorry for the delay in responding...it's been a bit hectic the last day or so. I think I need to give you a little background that will hopefully clear up any confusion.

I'm in a small IT department for an auto group. My primary role is general tech support, but includes creating accounts within our Domain. To make it easier for us to handle new employees, I created a basic 'new employee checklist' using HTML. [After entering the data on the html form, the person clicks the submit button and their email program (Outlook) will send the message.]

There have been some slight issues...default email program (some still use Outlook Express)...limited time available to me...minimal understanding...etc. But it works. Now I'm trying to become more familiar with PHP and the capability it gives, especially in conjunction with a database.

As I mentioned, my main role is general support...we have a contract with a company that manages our LAN/WAN. Because of this, I don't have any 'real' role in modifying the routing statements or setting up access within the equipment. On the other hand, my position allows me the opportunity to have changes made to the equipment.

All that being said, I believe everything was in place for me to use the default settings when installing the WampServer. I believe this because, as I originally said, everything was working fine when I first installed the program and started testing things. (On CMGMTWS008, I installed the program and placed the forms I was using - checklist.html & checklist.php - in the C:\wamp\www directory.

From CMGMTWS008, I was able to open checklist.html, fill out the short form and, after clicking the submit button, run the PHP coding (display the data I entered in a new browser window & send an email to myself with the information).

After putting the WampServer online, I could use another computer within the Domain and do the same thing by entering - in an IE8 browser - [cmgmtws008].

Right now, I've got a VPN tunnel open to my work Domain and am able to successfully do what I want.

ALL that being said, and I profusely apologize for the lengthy explanation, my confusion began the day after I started to seriously work on the checklist using PHP. The first day, everything worked fine...the second day, nothing worked...and now everyting is working fine.

Bearing in mind my limited understanding of PHP, Apache, or any other web server environment, can you think of a possible reason why it wasn't working that second day? (If I'm going to be successful at this, I need understand why it might not work.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.